Go Down

Topic: Grounding Arduino Due and a 5V External Power Supply (Read 163 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi I'm just new in this forum and using the Due board too. Thank's in advanced for your help.

Fine, my problem is that I'm trying to use a Due board for control 8 Digital WS2811 RGB 5 meters Led stripes. They are connected to an computer ATX 650W power supply that provide the 5V that the led stripes needs to work. My doubt is about if I could have any problem wen connect the  ground of the Due board to the ground of the power supply, because the Due runs with 3,3V?!?  :smiley-confuse:

Previously I make some test with an RGB 12V led stripes and an Uno board, and everything works fine when I grounded them together. And with the same composition as I described upside (digital WS2811 5V led stripes) working over Uno and Mega boards without troubles too, but I'm not sure about the Arduino Due...
I look for some topic about this question but can't found anything.

Thank you!!!

The ground must be connected for the data communication to work.
GoForSmoke: "What GShield? You never mentioned a shield."

First of all, I have never been a fan of using a computer power supply in this manner. Many computer power supplies only regulate One or two voltages. All other voltages are not regulated. The more power you pull out of the regulated voltage, the more voltage is pumped into the non-regulated section.

Also it is never a good idea to use a power supply that is capable of putting out several times the Current that you may need. That's why laboratories and companies use power supplies that can regulate the current as well as the voltage. And it is not recommended for someone to use this type power supply if they don't know exactly what they're doing. Transistors, capacitors, and integrated circuits can blow up. Eye protection is recommended when dealing with electronics.

How much current do you really need. Only use a power supply that is rated for the current you need with a little bit extra. Approximately 10% Extra is a good cushion.

you can ruin more projects, and waste more money than a good benchtop power supply will cost nowadays. $50 will get you a good  30V 5A Lab type power supply that can regulate voltage and current. and in the long run it can save you a lot of money, It may also keep you from getting hurt, maybe even save your eyesight.

PS, I just purchased a new power supply. I did my homework, or at least I thought I did. Looking at all the YouTube videos on these power supplies, I was planning on modifying it so it would work properly. After receiving the new power supply, I was very surprised. None of the problems that I had heard about applied to this power supply. It was almost perfect. no real modifications were necessary.

stay safe, and have fun.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131