Go Down

Topic: Connecting an Ethernet PHY to Arduino Due (Read 68363 times) previous topic - next topic

An00bIS

Hi Palliser

thank you for your quick reply! i will check it out!

An00bIS

Kellermaaan

Hello everybody,

At the beginning, sorry for my bad english but i try my best...

And now i need some help. I have an adruino taijiuino and the DM9161 PHY and i want to use UDP. Can I use the existing libraries or do I have to write a new one???

Kellermaaan

the_sensor

Feb 17, 2015, 05:21 am Last Edit: Feb 17, 2015, 05:22 am by the_sensor
Hi all,

TAIJIUINO Due seems out-of-stock on the ElecHouse website.
It just says a new revision "R3 will come soon".

Furthermore, did anyone read this: ?
http://www.hwmakers.eu/arduino/arduino-due-the-missing-ethernet/

Any ideas if any new board Arduino due with ethernet phy might be arriving soon ?

Thanks,

Palliser

Feb 17, 2015, 09:29 pm Last Edit: Feb 17, 2015, 09:29 pm by Palliser
Hi all,

TAIJIUINO Due seems out-of-stock on the ElecHouse website.
It just says a new revision "R3 will come soon".

I'd recommend you to look at ebay. So far, Taijiuino and its Ethernet PHY module have been my best option.

p

Kellermaaan

Hi all,

How do I get to die current time in milliseconds since power up?

Thanks Kellermaaan

rockwallaby

Kellermaaan wrote:
How do I get to die current time in milliseconds since power up?
What on Earth has your question got to do with this post title 'Connecting an Ethernet PHY to Arduino Due'?

First, start your own thread, secondly state clearly your question, as when you write 'current time' specify the format, do you mean as a long or as human readable. New thread please.
____
Paul

nitrof

Hi.

Is there been any developpement in de EMAC library. Is there will be any day ?

Nitrof.

Palliser

Jun 20, 2016, 03:29 pm Last Edit: Jun 20, 2016, 03:30 pm by Palliser
Hi.

Is there been any developpement in de EMAC library. Is there will be any day ?

Nitrof.
Hello nitrof,

As you probably know, Arduino Due was launched in 2012 with some features not supported by Arduino APIs like the CAN and EMAC peripherals.

Regarding CAN and EMAC, Atmel's ASF developed their libraries and examples for their SAM3X development/evaluation boards.

A couple of years ago, with the help of Atmel, I ported the CAN library but very raw. Collin from this forum, polished the library with extra examples. I could say that now, the CAN library is very decent but not official.

Similarly, I ported the EMAC library (also very raw) from Atmel's ASF but I was only able to make it run OK in a third-party board (Taijiuino by Elechouse) given that Due doesn't have its EMAC pins broken out.

Unlike the CAN communication, my EMAC ported library still waiting for someone to finish it. I could do it but I am busy nowadays.

If you look at my first post in this thread, you'll find the library with the example.

In reference to a future development on the part of the Arduino team, it is difficult to know. Regards,

-p

Paul Stoffregen

Jun 21, 2016, 03:04 am Last Edit: Jun 21, 2016, 03:06 am by Paul Stoffregen
FWIW, I'm just now starting to look at native ethernet with Teensy.  Last week I created a PCB for the LAN8720A chip and sent it to OSH Park.  I also just placed an order for the Elechouse DM9161 module.  So far I have not yet written even a single line of code... and I only have a small pile of parts which arrived from Digikey, but I'm still waiting for the bare PCB from OSH Park.

Eventually I hope to write a great ethernet library capable of full 100 Mbit/sec speed, but perhaps that's a distant pipe dream?

westfw

I hope to write a great ethernet library capable of full 100 Mbit/sec speed,
Raw ethernet speed, or whole TCP/IP stack?
The MK20 Kinetis chips don't have ethernet MACs, do they?  It's pretty tough to push 100Mbps through an external interface...

Paul Stoffregen

Jun 21, 2016, 11:55 am Last Edit: Jun 21, 2016, 11:56 am by Paul Stoffregen
Of course with a TCP/IP stack, and probably Arduino API extensions for asynchronous network event notifications, and libraries of networking middleware built on top of those APIs.  What's the point of dreaming if you can't dream big?  ;)

Yeah, the K20 Kinetis series lacks ethernet macs, but the very similar K60 series chips have them.  You can probably guess where I'm heading....

Performance-wise, the K60 ethernet mac does have some really nice-looking features, like TCP checksum offload in hardware and automatic segmenting of large packets across multiple buffers.  Reports of people achieving the sustained 10 Mbyte/sec speeds with the MQX RTOS system have been posted occasionally, so at least there's some indication such performance can be achieved.

nitrof

HI Allz.

Thanks for the answers.

Eventually I hope to write a great ethernet library capable of full 100 Mbit/sec speed, but perhaps that's a distant pipe dream?
I hope that this day come soon ! :)

In the same way, from this forum tread, 've learn about the arduino DUET https://www.think3dprint3d.com/Duet

This board is connected use KSZ8051RNLU chip and lWip stack. Is that could be a good idea as well ?

Regars Nitrof

Palliser

HI Allz.

Thanks for the answers.

I hope that this day come soon ! :)

In the same way, from this forum tread, 've learn about the arduino DUET https://www.think3dprint3d.com/Duet

This board is connected use KSZ8051RNLU chip and lWip stack. Is that could be a good idea as well ?

Regars Nitrof

The PHY with LwIP stack  has been already implemented by Atmel (now Microchip) in the SAM4E-EK. Here an application note:

http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-42134-Use-of-Ethernet-on-SAM4E-EK_AT02971_Application-Note.pdf

-p

Paul Stoffregen

Well sure, lots of semiconductor vendor eval boards not supported by Arduino have implemented LwIP, which isn't anything like the simplicity and ease of learning on Arduino.

Palliser

Well sure, lots of semiconductor vendor eval boards not supported by Arduino have implemented LwIP, which isn't anything like the simplicity and ease of learning on Arduino.
I mentioned on purpose the lwip on SAM4-EK because it has identical EMAC controller as the one inside SAM3X (Due's core). Thinking on lwip as open source network stack, you could put it in two steps: one first using IP over Serial using the serial ports of the Due in order to be sure the porting (lwip configuration) is good. Second, move on the EMAC driver with whole Ethernet, thus validating the EMAC and PHY drivers and the lwip porting later. Indeed, I made this using Taijuino (Due clone) and external PHY module and I was able the run a basic HTTP web server example using lwIP TCP/IP stack in mode standalone. See my post #92 in my thread.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=142908.90

-p

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy