Go Down

Topic: Get specs from unknown solar panel/cell (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Makkan

I have a few solar panels/cells lying around that I've gotten from a pack of solar powered garden lights.

The marking on the back of the panels say: Excell EXC53.5*53.5
However I'm not sure if the last "L" in Excell is part of the name or just a graphic part of the logo. The last "L" has two rays coming out of it. The numbers are consistent with the panel/cell size in millimetres.

Anyways I can't find any datasheets for the given info, so before I go fry anything, is there a way to get the absolute maximum ratings for current and voltage?

Any other tips that might be useful when working with unknown hardware would also be useful.

MikMo

If you have a digital meter you can messure the voltage and the short circuit current in full light. That is as far as i remember the two values normally associated wit a solar cell.

Makkan

Ok, so I basically have to wait for the sun to come by before I can get some decent numbers from the panel? If that's the case I would have to wait till spring or something ;).

And correct me if I'm wrong but to measure the short circuit current I would have to connect the multimeter positive probe to + and the ground/negative probe to - on the panel (just like measuring voltage).

PaulS

If you don't have any sun, of what use is a solar panel?

TchnclFl

If you don't have any sun, of what use is a solar panel?

I think the OP is mostly just curious.

To OP:
In theory, you could put it under a bright lamp to simulate the sun, but it won't be quite the same as the sun itself.

Go Up