Go Down

Topic: avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" bug (Read 30660 times) previous topic - next topic

hilukasz

switching between Programming modes bug, what happens:

if you have a sketch open for arduino i.e. ArduinoISP or TinyISP and have it set to AVRISP MKII then switch to another sketch that had Arduino as ISP set (for programing attiny for example), it will show Arduino as ISP chosen, but will cause error:

avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

fix: switch to any other prorgrammer, then back to arduino as ISP and error goes away.

it makes it look like arduino as ISP is chosen, but it really isn't somehow.
for(i = 0, i < 820480075, i++){ Design(); Code(); delay(1000); } // hellowoo.com

Peter_I

I have exactly the error you describe trying to program an ATTINY 85 using the ArduinoISP.

It has been driving me nuts!

(Uno rev 3, Arduino  1.0.3, Win XP)

Too tired to try it now, I hope it works tomorrow!
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Peter_I

It worked, selecting "Arduino as ISP" an toggling back and forth a couple of times got it working.

I managed to upload "Blink", and even though it reports:
avrdude: please define PAGEL and BS2 signals in the configuration file for part ATtiny85
avrdude: please define PAGEL and BS2 signals in the configuration file for part ATtiny85

it is working as it should.

Thanks!
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

strykeroz

Thanks hilukasz - I'd not seen this before, but your post saved a lot of my hair tonight I think.  It's not often I am doing both ATmega and ATtiny work simultaneously, but I am here and your explanation certainly makes sense based on my experience in the past hour.

Cheers ! Geoff
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

Hi,

The solution in this post does not work for me. I am having the same problem but with different conditions:

I am trying to program a ATTINY25 with my UNO, using  http://code.google.com/p/arduino-tiny/

Uploading  ArduinoISP sketch was ok. Then programmed the Attiny25 with modified blink sketch...

All was apparently well, but led does not blink, and Arduino IDE shows both messages:

Upload finished. (actually says "Carga terminada." because is in spanish)
and
             avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

Can anybody help me please?

Thanks in advance.

Roberto

virtual1

May 24, 2013, 03:42 pm Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:54 pm by virtual1 Reason: 1
Sometimes you have to do some more zigzagging to get it to work again.  I use ardweenys a LOT here for their low cost, and I find this problem somewhat frequently when I'm in a hurry.  After I hit upload, I tend to turn on the serial monitor. (which always turns off and closes when you upload??)  When the upload finishes, it reboots the ardweeny.  But when you turn on the serial monitor, it reboots it AGAIN.  If these reboots happen too close to each other, (turn on the serial monitor within 1 sec of the upload finishing because you are impatient) it often causes the serial port driver to jam up and you get this message when you try to upload.

Sometimes trying again fixes it.  Sometimes quitting the IDE and relaunching fixes it.  Sometimes it just plain gets STUBBORN and you have to get more drastic.  I was just rebooting my computer, and that always worked, but I've found a faster way.  Open your serial select and note which one is checked.  Quit the IDE.  Unplug your serial adapter.  Relaunch the IDE.  Select a serial.  Your serial interface will not be listed, nothing will be checked.  Select something else. (may need to select something very different, mine is a /dev/cu, so I select a /dev/ty) and try to upload.  It will fail.  Quit the IDE.  plug back in your adapter.  Relaunch IDE.  Re-select your serial adapter.  Should work now.

(If not, you are probably going to have to reboot your computer to reset the serial driver)

And to avoid the problem, avoid rebooting your arduino over serial WHILE it is already in the process of rebooting.
(this could also be caused by hitting upload a second time while an upload is in progress, I haven't tested it that heavily)

Go Up