Go Down

Topic: Control of 6 12VDC linear actuators with Arduino Mega (Read 699 times) previous topic - next topic

tdk12

I'm currently working on a project that needs independent operation of 6 linear actuators.  I was planning on using an Arduino Mega with three motor shields but after looking around I can't say for sure if its possible to have three motor shields coupled with the Mega.  I just want to make sure that it is possible before purchasing the shields.  I have seen independent operation of 4 motors using 2 shields with some pin trimming.

The project is just extending one of the actuators after sensing a corresponding input and then retracting.  So I need 6 pins available for inputs as well.

The current draw of each actuator is 2A and they are 12V.  Only one actuator will be moving at any given time and I don't need to use PWM as they will be used full speed each direction.

Thanks

zoomkat

You should be able to operate the actuators using two 8 relay boards like below (four actuators per board)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5V-8-Channel-Relay-Module-Board-for-Arduino-PIC-AVR-MCU-DSP-ARM-Electronic-/270984095956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f17e928d4
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   8)

tdk12

I'll check into that, thanks for the response.  I'm relatively new to the whole Arduino world so I'm not as familiar with all the add-ons and options that are available to do this.  The other option I considered was just building a circuit with all the necessary transistors and H-bridges but I would rather avoid that if possible.

Go Up