Go Down

Topic: Need help: Arduino + 555 timer + loud alarm signal (Read 336 times) previous topic - next topic

alexmg2

This is the piezo I am using, if I connect it directly to arduino it works just fine.
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1739

I tried two different transistors already, same result.
I did forget to mention that I am running arduino off USB is that makes any difference.

I will take a dinner break, then will rewire everything and will record its function and post here for troubleshootign.

Thanks.

raschemmel

Apr 22, 2016, 06:13 am Last Edit: Apr 22, 2016, 06:49 am by raschemmel
Post a photo of your circuit. That kind of piezo is never very loud but it should be working. Are you SURE the base resistor is 1 k ? Try changing it to 150  to 220 ohms.
Did you do what I said about putting a jumper wire from the anode of the diode to GND to test it ?
Something is definitely not right. That's a simple circuit. It should have worked from the start.

Measure the voltage on the base of the transistor when you connect the base resistor to +5V.
Measure the voltage on the collector too.

Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

alexmg2

Nope, still the same result, I triple checked the circuit, ran it from both , USB and Wall power, two different resistor values, 1k and 150R there is a tiny bit difference with 150R it is louder comparing to 1k, but still waaaay quieter than if I connect piezo directly to arduino, my program is simple. It generates frequency via timer interrupt. tone command also gives the same result. Standard test "Melody" program from arduino package - same quiet result.
Here are two videos:

This is straight from arduino, pin8 and GND
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3le5bjm2oekp0a/Video%20Apr%2022%2C%2012%2044%2026%20AM.mov?dl=0

And this is via transistor
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1o6xpmlh6lspfo/Video%20Apr%2022%2C%2012%2053%2002%20AM.mov?dl=0

raschemmel

Apr 22, 2016, 01:28 pm Last Edit: Apr 22, 2016, 01:31 pm by raschemmel
I find that hard to believe. I can't see your circuit in the video . Can you post a closeup (from directly above) photo of your circuit ? it is possible this problem is due to the fact that the piezo draws such little current. I can tell you that my transistor circuit with a 2 " , 8 ohm speaker was louder than your piezo.
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

alexmg2

I will reassemble this circuit on naked arduino when I get home later tonight and will fire it up again.  Yeah, I cannot beleive this either, it seem such simple and bulletproof schematic.

raschemmel

Have you tested the transistors using a led and a resistor instead of the piezo ?
Have you tried the Blink example to drive the piezo to ruleout software issues ?
Have you tried ohming out transistors using a DMM on diode scale with the black lead on the base and the red lead on emitter and then collector ?

You should find that on diode scale , there is a SLIGHT difference in the reading between collector and base vs emitter and base (with the black lead on the base).

Test the transistors using the Blink example.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy