Go Down

Topic: Shift Register only works when hand is close (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

scswift

Thanks, I will grab these extra parts today and put some stuff together, hopefully all will go well.

@scswift:
What though, is an IC?

An IC is a chip.  Like your shift register.  As someone else mentioned, it stands for "integrated circuit". 

Btw for your decoupling capacitors, get little ceramic ones.  You don't need to worry about polarity with those.

shiznatix

Btw for your decoupling capacitors, get little ceramic ones.  You don't need to worry about polarity with those.

In regards to this, can you give me an example? My local "electronics shop" is really terrible and the staff know less about electronics than your standard pizza delivery driver. So, when I go there, I need to know exactly what it is that I need.

majenko

A 100nF ceramic capacitor is a 100nF ceramic capacitor.  If it doesn't say 100nF ceramic capacitor, or 0.1µF ceramic capacitor on the packet, then don't buy it.  It may have the numbers "104" printed on the actual capacitor surface itself.
Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

Shpaget

I found out that my local electronics shop works best if I go to them with their own inventory numbers and not component name, so take a look at their web site, if they have one, and see if they have their own code listed next to the part name.

MarkT

Where's the decoupling capacitors?

I didn't know I needed one. I am quite new to electronics and am trying to control an LED matrix. What would I use a decoupling capacitor for in this situation?

The rule is simple, _all_ digital logic chips should have a decoupling capacitor to ground on every supply right next to the
chip.  (most chips have only one supply, here 5V).  Typical symptoms of inadequate decoupling is random,
occasional misbehaviour.  Unless you enjoy circuits that sometimes go wrong for no obvious reason don't
forget to decouple!

Without further information 0.1uF is a good default value that should work in most
circumstances, but the datasheet for the chip will have chapter-and-verse on decoupling requirements.
Buy decoupling capacitors in bulk, its much more economic!
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up