Go Down

Topic: Reset/reprogramming behavior (Read 295 times) previous topic - next topic

MrGarak

I'm working on a secure access project controlled by the arduino. One of the project requirements is a way to communicate with the arduino. I figured I'd use the usb since that was already built in, however that obviously raises some potential security problems, as in the code could easily be reprogrammed via the usb port. My question is, if auto reset functionality is disabled, via the capacitor or cut trace method, will this effectively prevent the atmega chip from being reprogrammed through the usb cable? I know it can still be done by holding the reset button, but that won't be a problem since the arduino board will be inaccessible.

I guess a better approach would be ethernet shield/wireless some other way of communication. I'd rather keep the component count optimized, however. From my experiments it seems with the capacitor between reset and ground, there is no longer any way to reprogram the board through the usb cable, even when cycling the power to the board. Can anyone confirm?

PeterH

I think that trying to prevent the Arduino from resetting under all possible circumstances would be futile, since it has to reset after a power outage. If you don't want it to be capable of being reprogrammed via the USB port then you could remove the bootloader - you'd need to upload your sketches via the ICSP interface subsequently.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

MrGarak

Feb 26, 2013, 04:32 am Last Edit: Feb 26, 2013, 05:27 am by MrGarak Reason: 1
Thanks for the info. I'll look into ICSP.

Go Up