Go Down

Topic: Never noticed what I drive by every day 'till now (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

biocow

Dec 24, 2010, 12:21 am Last Edit: Dec 24, 2010, 12:24 am by biocow Reason: 1
I'd heard of Arduino for a few yeas but didn't really know much about it till about 5 months ago. Picked one up 3 months ago. Been reading all I can since. 2 months ago learned about the ATTiny and can't wait to play with those. So imagine my surprise when I'm sitting at a turn signal I have to wait at ever morning and I turn to my left to see this:

(Image stolen from Google maps.)

I wonder if they're hiring. Employee discounts anyone?  ;D
10 PRINT CHR$(7)
20 GOTO 10

MakerMann

Dude how did you not notice that I bet theyed take one look and say your hired.

retrolefty

Cool, but I bet they too are all out of 328s also.

Lefty

biocow

Maybe I'll go in and ask if the have any. ;)

Are there really none around?  I thought I've seen them available on many sites. Should I be stocking up?
10 PRINT CHR$(7)
20 GOTO 10

Imahilus

Is it just me, or does anybody else find that traffic light to be oddly placed?
Looks like you should wait in the middle of the intersection for the light to go green  :P

retrolefty

Are there really none around?  I thought I've seen them available on many sites. Should I be stocking up?

I really don't know, but it just seems to me meme that keeps being repeated every couple of months or so. For a hobbyist like myself that only needs to have 2 or 3 spares around, I haven't seen a problem as SparkFun and others always seems to have some minimum quantity on hand. I think the problem comes up for people needing larger quantities sometimes.

retrolefty

Is it just me, or does anybody else find that traffic light to be oddly placed?

If you look at the curb you can see it's not a straight but rather curved, so I suspect it's not your typical standard four way light.

Lefty

MurMan

I think the problem comes up for people needing larger quantities sometimes.

My son-in-law is the buyer for a contract manufacturing firm.  Many of the boards they build use Atmel processors.  He says that it's really difficult to get them.

Osgeld

Dec 24, 2010, 07:01 am Last Edit: Dec 24, 2010, 07:03 am by Osgeld Reason: 1
when I lived in the city I didn't notice many things, like when I applied to caterpillar financial as as jr sysadmin, I had to ask directions, it was in the same building as the applebees I frequented during school, with a big ass sign as you enter

Though I knew where the little neon applebees sign was  ::)

now that I live on the outer most part of civilization its a different story

retrolefty

when I lived in the city I didn't notice many things,

A husbands worst fear, walks into his own house and his wife meets him at the door with a question, "notice anything different?"

Lefty

Boffin1

Very true Lefty, like "which one of these looks best?"

The junction is a four way, see google map link below,  but with turning restrictions for traffic waiting in the middle. We have them in South Africa, but on the other side of the road as we drive on the left.

http://maps.google.co.za/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2325+Orchard+Parkway,+San+Jose,+California,+United+States&sll=38.47837,-121.41066&sspn=0.007391,0.01929&g=orchard+parkway++california&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=2325+Orchard+Pkwy,+San+Jose,+Santa+Clara,+California+95131,+United+States&ll=37.377375,-121.925341&spn=0.000479,0.000421&t=k&deg=270&z=21

Merry Christmas to those of the 35,000 of us that celebrate it.
With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Imahilus

Eh, how odd, the traffic lights are placed on the other side of the intersection for every lane. Is this common practice in the US? I knew americans were weird and different, but this is a new revelation alltogether  :P

As for the atmel part, I do wonder what they would say if you walk in and ask to purchase some 328's (perhaps they have a lill' basket of em on the counter, instead of it being the usual candy!).

CowJam

we drive on the left

As God intended!

Happy Christmas to you too :)

biocow

Dec 24, 2010, 03:47 pm Last Edit: Dec 24, 2010, 04:06 pm by biocow Reason: 1
A lot of major intersections here have lights on both sides (near and far) of an intersection. If I'm first in line there might be three lights. One right next to me on my left on the "island", one director in front of me across the intersection hanging over head and one on the corner like the one pictured. For traffic going straight there may be one on the near side on the right and above across the intersection.

It's a sad commentary on Americans inability to focus on WHOH!!! I almost hit that pedestrian!
10 PRINT CHR$(7)
20 GOTO 10

Ran Talbott

I think the problem comes up for people needing larger quantities sometimes.

The ones who really get killed are the smaller product makers:  if you're huge,  you can get factory allocations,  but the people who make hundreds or thousands of widgets per year have to put up with the feast-and-famine cycles at Mouser, Digi-Key, et al.  And those famines are all-too-tragically real.

I just went through this doing some designs for a client:  I really wanted to use the USB ATMegas,  but they were out of stock,  and weren't going to be available for months.  And the maker of the Teensy boards confirmed that he has had to be extremely careful about stocking up when he can get them.

So we wound up going with USB PICs,  solely because of supply reliability  :(

It'll actually save them a few bucks in the long term,  because the PICs are slightly cheaper (not a major concern, because they have good margins).  But I really don't like being stuck with a proprietary Windoze toolchain.  And Microchip's USB stack,  which bears a depressing resemblance to the old Colossal Cave game ("You are in a maze of twisty little callbacks,  all the same")...

Go Up