Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Relay to close 120volt contact triggered by ground  (Read 390 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi, can anyone help me figure out a way to turn on my porch light, that will be triggered by a ground. So when I ground, the light comes on, when I unground, it goes off.

Thanks!

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

You want to use a relay.
Wire up the relay through a transistor to the arduino.

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

Who or what will be doing the grounding?

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

View Profile

Its my ip cameras external outputs, i know not arduino related, but you guys are smart. Ill house the relay in the light, where ill also have a 12 volt connection if that helps

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

In that case, it would help to know the specification of the IP camera output. As you are talking about "grounding", I presume it is an open-collector or open-drain output; but it may or may not be rated at +12V.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

View Profile

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
View Profile

It's an open-collector output, and it looks like it's designed to drive a relay already, without using an external transistor. So connect the coil of a 12V relay between the output and the +12V supply, and connect a flyback diode in parallel with the relay coil.

If you look on page 145 of the manual, it should tell you the current sink capacity of that output.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: