Go Down

Topic: Got snow? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

TomGeorge

Hi,

Maybe two mail boxes one with Junk Mail printed on the side.
Thats an idea, a second autonomous robot just running from front of house to recycle bin out the back.

I'd call them Outback Rombas. very Australian, I wonder if they would be GST free.

Tom..... :)
(Currently at lunch, I've got to find something better to do in my spare time.)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running......VK3DMK

Henry_Best

Thats an idea, a second autonomous robot just running from front of house to recycle bin out the back.
How long do you think it will be before the junk mail deliverers catch on to your scheme?

TomGeorge

Hi,

How long do you think it will be before the junk mail deliverers catch on to your scheme?
So that they can go and get them out of my recycler and deliver  them again?

Henry_Best

So that they can go and get them out of my recycler and deliver  them again?
No. So that they know to deliver them to the other mailbox.

TomGeorge

HI,
I think then I would program mailbox to recognize bright yellow safety jacket and putt putt of mailman's motorbike, and only open slot for him/her.

CrossRoads

Mar 23, 2015, 02:44 pm Last Edit: Mar 23, 2015, 02:46 pm by CrossRoads
How come you have such a low house number, all the US houses I see on the telly are never numbered lower than 1000,  ie 90210
I think you are mixing up house number (66) which goes with a building, and ZIP code (90210) which goes with a town.
In the US, we also have 9-digit zip codes to break the towns/cities up more, sometimes down to a specific business it seems. For example, here are ZIP codes for an address on S Rodeo Dr in Beverly  Hills. No idea what's there or how they are assigned, but here are 3 ZIP code extension examples:

132 S RODEO DR STE 301
BEVERLY HILLS  CA 90212-2406

132 S RODEO DR STE 400
BEVERLY HILLS  CA 90212-2413

132 S RODEO DR STE 333B
BEVERLY HILLS  CA 90212-2415

I like the idea of the portable mailbox - I think it would tend to get bogged down in the winter snow, or run out of juice during the cloudy winter days.  Maybe a pneumatic tube on a post instead, when mail is deposited it would be sucked into the house.  Still have to walk out for boxes I suppose.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Henry_Best

A simpler version could be 2 mailboxes on a chain around 2 wheels. One wheel inside the house, motorised, the other at the end of the drive. When mail is detected in the box, the motor turns on, pulling the full box inside and moving the empty box to the end of the drive.

Henry_Best

Mar 23, 2015, 07:23 pm Last Edit: Mar 23, 2015, 07:24 pm by Henry_Best
Here, in the UK, we have postcodes made up as follows:
The 'outward' code of one or two letters to denote the area/town/city followed by one or two numbers (or sometimes one number and one letter) to denote the district of the destination.

A space, followed by the 'inward' code of one number and two letters which split down to a post-person's 'walk' and to about 30 houses (usually in one street) or even one business.

TomGeorge

Mar 23, 2015, 09:13 pm Last Edit: Mar 23, 2015, 09:15 pm by TomGeorge
Hi,
Our postcodes a only 4 digits.
No, I have see the house numbers, cop shows, movies and in 90% of cases numbers >1000.

Will make the mailbox a quadcopter with cold feet detector, too cold, must be snow, lets get out of here.

Tom.... :)

I like the belt idea, only wouldn't be practical on the farm or outback, too far..

Henry_Best

I like the belt idea, only wouldn't be practical on the farm or outback, too far.
Longer, thicker chain, intermediate wheels to support the chain, more powerful motor.
Or use steel cable. Cable cars/ski lifts can extend to several miles.

CrossRoads

"Borrow" an Amazon drone, reprogram that to bring the mailbox back and forth ...
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Henry_Best

"Borrow" an Amazon drone, reprogram that to bring the mailbox back and forth ...
Your next project could be to build a drone/quadcopter just for that job.

CrossRoads

No, MrsCrossroads enjoys the walk out there.

TomGeorge

Hi,

No, it would charge you exorbitant freight costs, and would come without a spec sheet or owners manual.

Tom...... :)
(You think  I don't have a place in my heart or Amazon?)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy