Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Problem with Aref  (Read 535 times)
KCMO
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am trying to get the Aref pin to work so I can scale down analog input references for better resolution.  I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong here.

I am using the 3.3V supply from the Uno board through a voltage divider of 1.5M and 1K resistors.  This provides around 2.19mV.  I connect that to the Aref, and the GND below the Aref to the bottom of the divider.  No matter what I do, I cannot read anything but 1023.  I am understand the floating pin, but it doesn't go to 0 when grounded.  I have tried just connecting it to the 3.3V supply directly (to AREF), and that works.  I have tried INTERNAL and DEFAULT analog references, and they seem to work fine.  It is only when I try and scale it down that it won't read.  Also, I have tried multiple analog pins in case one was bad or something.

Divider:

Below is the code, however, I suspect there is something else going on as it work fine on a direct connection to board voltages...

Any help would be appreciated

Code:
float test;
float coeff[] = {0 , 1.978425E+2 , -2.001204E-7 , 1.036969E-11 , -2.549687E-16 ,   
    3.585153E-21 , -5.344285E-26 , 5.099890E-31};    //Type J coefficients

float temp;
float temp_comp;

long time_ref;        //time to act as start time reference (milliseconds)
long time_current;

int analogpin = A1;  //analog pin to use
int analoginput = 0;  //integer value 0-1023 input from pin

void setup(){
  Serial.begin(9600);
  analogReference(EXTERNAL);  //use AREF as voltage reference

Serial.println("Anolog input testing");

}

void loop(){
  delay(2000);
  time_current = millis();  //timestamp
 // analoginput = 0;
  analoginput = analogRead(analogpin); // reads analong input pin and stores to variable

test = 0;
  temp = 0;
  temp_comp = 0;

test = map(analoginput, 0 , 1023 , 0 , 2150); // maps 0-1023 to 0-2150 microvolts
  test = test/1000; // converts microvolts to millivolts

temp = tc_calc(test);
  temp_comp = temp + 21.222;

Serial.print(time_current);
  Serial.print("\t");
  Serial.print(analoginput);
  Serial.print("\t");
  Serial.print(test);
  Serial.print("\t");
  Serial.print(temp);
  Serial.print("\t");
  Serial.print(temp_comp);
  Serial.println("");
}

// Thermocouple Calculations
float tc_calc(float tc_mv){
  int i = 0;
     while(i <=7) {
       temp = temp + coeff[i]*pow(tc_mv,i);
       i++;
      }
  return temp;
}

France
View Profile

Code:
analogReference(EXTERNAL);
The voltage you applied to aref becomes the new reference... it's normal that you cannot read anything but 1023.
Take a look here : http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/AnalogReference

KCMO
View Profile

The voltage you applied to aref becomes the new reference... it's normal that you cannot read anything but 1023.

I am sorry, that doesn't make any sense.  I am applying ~2.19mV at AREF, and grounding the analog input pin, I should get zero.  When I apply 3.3V at AREF and ground the analog input pin, I get 0. Similarly, when I repeat this for 5V, I get 0.  It is only when I apply the 2.2mV that I get 1023.

I forgot to mention in my first post, I tested all of this with a DVM, and I am infact getting the voltages as they should be at each pin and reference.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I am sorry, that doesn't make any sense.  I am applying ~2.19mV at AREF, and grounding the analog input pin, I should get zero.  When I apply 3.3V at AREF and ground the analog input pin, I get 0. Similarly, when I repeat this for 5V, I get 0.  It is only when I apply the 2.2mV that I get 1023.

I forgot to mention in my first post, I tested all of this with a DVM, and I am infact getting the voltages as they should be at each pin and reference.

That is because you failed to study/read the datasheet about the electrical specification of the Aref pin and what's it's minimum voltage can be, approx +1.0 vdc.

Lefty

France
View Profile

the minimum which Arduino can pick up is ~4.88mV (5/1023). If less it gets 0.
And you're saying the opposite of you first post  smiley-eek please be logical.

If you want to understand how ridiculous are your tests, draw a schema, it would help you  smiley

KCMO
View Profile

I guess that is my mistake.  I was relying on the Arduino reference guides and documentation.  I guess maybe they should consider changes there documentation from:

As indicated:
EXTERNAL: the voltage applied to the AREF pin (0 to 5V only) is used as the reference.

to something more like (1-5V)

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Indeed that tutorial is faulty.

The 1V limit for AREF is not a hard limit though - below that voltage they no longer guarantee the accuracy of the ADC.

I suspect you can try setting AREF to 0.5V and get less accurate results.

BTW the AREF input must be driven from a low impedance source, a voltage divider is not good enough.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: