Go Down

Topic: Labor rates (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

wizdum

Thanks for the replies. I havn't had any consistent numbers to go on. I usually pick a number that seems reasonable for the project, and then work within that (which also lets me discount long term projects).
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

vasquo

The highest your market will bear... considering any competition you have (if any).

The problem is, even the trivial changes require laying out and cutting an add-on PCB.

If I were you, I'd charge per hour (and materials) if this is a custom one-off job.
or
Once you know the total, offer to give them a discount but with the condition the custom job they hired you to do, you can re-sell to others.

retrolefty

If I'm performing the work at my home of hours of my choice I charged $55/Hr for technical writing projects as an independent contractor. This was just part time stuff I started doing after I retired about 6 years ago. Haven't worked any hours in well over a year now but you never know when the firm I worked with/for will land a new contract.

Lefty

kf2qd

The old rule from the Army - Depends on the terrain and the circumstances.

If you reside in some places on the globe then you will have to charge low rates as that is what the local market can bear. In other places the rates seem astronomical, but the costs there are much higher. Rates here in South Texas are rather low, but there is little demand. In Southern California the costs are much higher so the rates are much higher. You also have to look at whether you are clearing any money at the end of these jobs. Enough to cover costs? or are you really doing it as a hobby?

Go Up