Arduino Forum upgrade scheduled for Monday, October 20th, 11am-4pm (CEST). Sorry for the inconvenience!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: What it should all be about.  (Read 1319 times)
Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Neat short video

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Yeah good video, I don't have a clue what they teach in schools these days but I always thought there's no point ramming the names of all the prime ministers (or presidents, or whatever) down my throat, just teach me to be interested in learning and how to learn and if I ever need to know that crap I'll find out then. (It's been 40 years now and I never have smiley)

Also WRT programming, people I meet (non IT types) think I must be some sort of maths wiz, truth is I never finished school and can barely add two numbers together, but in the fields I've worked in it's been 98% logic, a pinch of arithmetic and almost no maths. Obviously YMMV if you work for NASA or write code for the SolidWorks rendering engine, but most things aren't rocket science, they are just logic.

_____
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
A newbie with loads of posts, and still so much to learn !
View Profile

Thats logical Captain ...

Actually I will watch the video later, I updated my drivers and lost my sound, but have been so busy I havn't had chance to sort it out yet.

I am half deaf and can lip read pretty good, but it doesn't help much with a video commentary  :-)  .

I agree with you Rob about logic, I spent decades with CMOS logic, but there's only so much De Morgan type stuff you can do, so that is why Arduino was a breath of fresh air to me. 

I struggle and make stupid mistakes, but the sense of reward when I logically find my error, is so rewarding.  and if I can't I can always " phone a friend "  as my wife calls it when a I post a problem on this forum.

( I actually had a post ready to send today, about a problem I had , but while thinking about what you guys would say, and indenting it nice and pretty , etc. I spotted my brain fart and sorted it out.)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:21:44 am by Boffin1 » Logged

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

just teach me to be interested in learning and how to learn
Amen.
It is exactly what I said to my kids.
Make finding-out fun, interesting and enjoyable, and the rest comes for free.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

...how to learn...

The absolute most important thing to learn in school is to learn how to learn.
You will have to do it the rest of your life. This is more true now than ever.
The day you stop learning is the day you die.
If you can learn to teach yourself, and to enjoy the process, even better.

Our schools here do teach some programming, and also "skills" courses like how to use a word processor, etc.
Do not be fooled by the latter. That is not learning, and that is not education, that is training.
I steered my kids away from the latter and towards the former.

Good video, BTW smiley-grin

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Belgium
Edison Member
Arduino rocks; but with my plugin it can fly rocking the world ;-)
View Profile

But my office doesn't look even close to the showed ones and food is not for free and I don't feel like a magician.  smiley-twist
I also wonder how important is to be able to read code when most of the used code is "undisclosed".
So to be honest: eventhough there is a point in "code is everywhere so you'd better know about it", the movie is biased towards having more developers (read cheaper labour).
Fun and inspiring to watch though.

Best regards
Jantje

Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

Leighton Buzzard, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

anyway - who said rocket science was hard!?!

there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

Global Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Actually I will watch the video later, I updated my drivers and lost my sound, but have been so busy I havn't had chance to sort it out yet.

You can turn on YouTube's automatic captioning.

However be warned that the captions do not match what they actually say, much.

For example, "I first learned how to make a green circle" becomes "first I had seen a entries for call event".

http://gammon.com.au/electronics
Please post technical questions on the forum - not by personal message. Thanks!

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

My favourite captioning gaffes are during the Brecourt Manor episode of Band of Brothers.
One release has Winters saying "bring along some TNT, despite the guns", and another has "bring along some TNT to spite the guns"

Global Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Good video, nicely presented. Makes coding look less geeky. smiley

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
View Profile

You can turn on YouTube's automatic captioning.

Thanks Nick, I have never noticed that before !

As to logical thinking ( Rob and all you programming wizards )  does your family also refuse to play Cluedo with you ?

My family got so annoyed when I would be putting ticks and question marks on my special sheet when other people were asking 3rd parties if they had the dagger or whatever  :-)

Now its only Monopoly they will play with me, but its great fun watching the grandchildren get so upset when they cant pay the rent at the end of the game,  they laugh at themselves afterwards  .

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
View Profile

"bring along some TNT to spite the guns"

reminds me of the line in CCR.s " bad moon rising "  that sounds just like " theres a bathroom on the right "

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

I've never played Cluedo, now Monopoly I used to like but I was never that good with money. Still aren't smiley

My wife doesn't hear that well so we usually have the captions on the TV. It's often hilarious to see what gets printed when you can hear exactly what was said.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Faraday Member
View Profile

I was thinking (after watching this video)

I told my daughter and showed her the video and it certainly sparked an interest off and now she's asking to try programming again (tried once already without much success)

And there's really no intermediary for kids in her age group, 10+, she's not happy with a simple drag and drop, but not yet able to grasp a complete language, something between those two to simplify it would be very nice to hand out to schools to teach with.

or has anyone seen something?

Global Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

GameMaker, although I haven't used it recently.

http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/studio

There is a scripting language, but you don't have to use it for simple to intermediate games.

You create things (eg. monsters) and have them move in a way you can set by setting properties (eg. move right at speed 5). Then you set up events (eg. if collide with wall, bounce back, if collide with player, kill player).

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Arduino Forum upgrade scheduled for Monday, October 20th, 11am-4pm (CEST). Sorry for the inconvenience!
Jump to: