Go Down

Topic: Speed of Shiftin command? (Read 587 times) previous topic - next topic

pyrohaz

Hey guys,

I was just wondering at how long it takes for shiftin to complete one cycle (as in one cycle being the command reading in one byte). I have 20 inputs, therefore needing 3 4021 chips (8*3 > 20).

Realistically, I could do with the shiftin being <10ms so that I can call a shiftin every 10ms.

Also, while shiftin is happening, is the arduino able to do other things?

Cheers,

fungus

Hey guys,

I was just wondering at how long it takes for shiftin to complete one cycle (as in one cycle being the command reading in one byte). I have 20 inputs, therefore needing 3 4021 chips (8*3 > 20).

Realistically, I could do with the shiftin being <10ms so that I can call a shiftin every 10ms.

No problem. It's probably hundreds of times faster than that.

Also, while shiftin is happening, is the arduino able to do other things?

No.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

CrossRoads

You could also do this with SPI.transfer, will be a lot faster:
Code: [Select]

digitalWrite(ssPin, LOW);  // if you need CS with the part you are using.  can also direct port manipulation for more speed
incomingByte = SPI.transfer(0); // where 0 is data that will get clocked out on MOSI pin while data is clocked in on MISO pin at the same time.
digitalWrite(ssPin, HIGH);
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy