Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Bizarre serial input behavior - Input from experienced users appreciated!  (Read 1691 times)
Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

The professor is looking for function, not form or good practice  

Whoa.

That was my first impression also, many Profs I've known would rather talk about how something should be accomplished rather then do anything constructive to help make it happen.  smiley-wink Maybe it's a mechanical engineering prof, they seem to be much better grounded then others.

Lefty

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Spin control!!! Struggling!!!
Yes, that describes you perfectly.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

I would like everyone in this thread to stick to answering technical questions and not bicker or insult each other.

Thank you.

Otherwise I'll lock it.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

Strong, bulletproof if possible, highly responsive User I/O -is- function.

The form you use is up to you. I know what works for me from long working experience so I can share that. Try it both ways and then try another, see what's easier and what's harder and most important, Why.

I think you should use parseInt() if your prof couldn't give a fig about your code. You'll save time and effort on your grade. The grade that you want what kind of help for? Not general advice?

You'll know if your prof cares about your code by what he does as the User. Will the User be required to enter only legal inputs? What if the User enters ABC? If your prof is required to only enter up to 3 digits always then you can get away with not coding error handling which as a pro you can't because in the Real World, users make bad entries but as a student what will you get? A test of function with or without unexpected, human, input?

The spec says using serial monitor the user must do X and see Y. Nothing about how serial monitor is set up. Set it up and close it, next time it opens the setting is still the same. Then have your user do what is required and your code do what it should.

But I'll just stop trying to help. I don't know enough.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: