Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Beginner question  (Read 473 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all, I've just ordered my first Arduino and this is my first post so please be gentle if I ask silly questions!

One of my primary motivations for buying the Arduino was to try to develop small standalone circuits for RC models - for example to work three or four servos in specific ways and with pre-defined delays between movements when a single input changes from a receiver. While I'm confident that the Arduino can do this, I do not necessarily want to put a complete Arduino into each model. So:
  • what is the best way to miniaturise the circuit for this type of use?
  • once I have built and debugged the program, can it be burnt to a PIC or other device and become 'run only' (compiled code, I guess)?
  • could anyone direct me to posts on these topics, please? I have searched but am probably missing the key search terms.)

I thought I'd ask this now so that I can start and continue developing mindful of the possibilities and limitations.

Thanks

Richard

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

what is the best way to miniaturise the circuit for this type of use?

Which circuit?

once I have built and debugged the program, can it be burnt to a PIC or other device...

Most Arduino boards use an Atmel AVR processor.  A fine replacement for the PIC.

...and become 'run only' (compiled code, I guess)?

Yup.  That's exactly what you will be doing with your new Arduino.

Croatia
View Profile

Behold, Hackduino

View Profile

Thanks for the response Coding Badly (I have to admit that your name made me smile!)

Which circuit?

By 'circuit' I meant the entire Arduino Duo board I've ordered (I now see I was not clear enough, sorry!)

Most Arduino boards use an Atmel AVR processor.  A fine replacement for the PIC.

Do I understand correctly that once I've developed the code on the Arduino Duo, I can transfer / copy it to an Atmel AVR and run it on that - adding any external circuitry necessary (e.g. LEDs, voltage regulators, inputs, etc.)?

Do you know of any 'idiots guides' to this process, please, that you could direct me to?

Thanks again.

Richard

View Profile

Behold, Hackduino

Thanks, Shpaget - that looks very interesting!

Richard

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Behold, Hackduino

I wonder how long it will take for the insulation to melt off the wires going over the top of the voltage regulator when 12V is applied.

SG
Arduino rocks
View Profile

http://playground.arduino.cc/Learning/AtmegaStandalone

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Thanks for the response Coding Badly (I have to admit that your name made me smile!)

I aim to entertain.

By 'circuit' I meant the entire Arduino Duo board I've ordered (I now see I was not clear enough, sorry!)

I assume you meant "Due".  The other boards will probably be easier to shrink for use in RC models.

Do I understand correctly that once I've developed the code on the Arduino Duo, I can transfer / copy it to an Atmel AVR and run it on that...

If you only use the Arduino functions and libraries, yes.  (After you rebuild your sketch for an AVR based board.)

...adding any external circuitry necessary (e.g. LEDs, voltage regulators, inputs, etc.)?

The minimum number of external components necessary to get an AVR processor running is zero.  A 10K pull-up resistor on RESET and a 0.1uF by-pass capacitor for each VCC / GND pair is very highly recommended which makes the typical minimum external component count 1 + 2*(number of VCC pins).

Do you know of any 'idiots guides' to this process, please, that you could direct me to?

The keyword is "standalone"...
https://www.google.com/search?q=arduino+standalone

"attiny" will probably also be helpful...
https://www.google.com/search?q=arduino+attiny

View Profile

Thanks again, guys, I really appreciate the help!

I'm off to do some more reading.........

Richard

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

I'm off to do some more reading.........

Bear in mind that the best way to learn this stuff is doing.  For a few dollars you can buy an ATmega328P (the "P" is important), an ATtiny85, or an ATtiny84 processor and use your Due as a programmer #.

# I believe that's currently true.  If it's not, it's a problem easily rectified.

View Profile

Thanks again, Coding Badly!

I agree with you about doing as the best way to learn - I'm just waiting for my UNO (how wrong could I be on the name?!?) to arrive. I've ordered a kit to get started quickly with everything to hand http://www.oomlout.co.uk/starter-kit-for-arduino-ardx-p-183.html I wanted to do some prep before it arrived so I can get my head around how this works ASAP.

I'll look at the various ones you've mentioned.

Thanks again.

Richard

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

Do I understand correctly that once I've developed the code on the Arduino Duo, I can transfer / copy it to an Atmel AVR and run it on that...
But bear in mind that the Due is clocked eight times faster and has data paths four times wider than an AVR-based Arduino, so if you rely on any heavy-duty number-crunching, your response on an AVR may disappoint.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: