Go Down

Topic: I really don't miss namespace and whatnot! (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

liudr

Out of random someone was asking me about netduino (launched over the summer). So I checked it out.

Here is some arduino code for GPS logger sold at adafruit:
http://www.ladyada.net/make/gpsshield/GPStest_RMC.pde

Here is netduino code using MS C#
http://blog.bobcravens.com/2010/09/gps-using-the-netduino/

Just look at how many things you need to add to the code. I really can't say enough thanks to how arduino people hide those codes inside the arduino core.

Like this one? System.Text.Encoding.UTF8.GetChars()? It's a microcontroller! How many layers of objects do we really need?  ;D

bld

I totally want one of those!

And I love that language ;) Programming in C# too which looks a lot like it, and in my opinion, it is very pleasant to work with. :)
captain-slow.dk | non contagious!

jabber

Have you checked out the Vinculo from FTDI?.

Unfortunately the only code samples I can find are in pdf format, so no easy links,  but do a google search for 'AN_153 Vinculo LCD Interface Example' and see an example of programming in hieroglyphics.

It is probably straighforward for the programmers around here but for the rest of us it would be a lot of effort to get on top of it.

AlphaZeta

As a software engineer in my day job, I have to say that C# is a nice language to write program with. But there's always a trade-off between efficiency and the language you use.

For uC project, my favorite language is the plain old C. C#, even from the micro .net framework, takes way too much space and the efficiency is pretty bad.

At the end of the day, people care about the functionality of your product, they really could care less what tool you used to develop it...

liudr

So maybe I should introduce netduino to my C# programmer friend. But on the other hand maybe he's sick and tired of what he does at work and prefers simple C as well? I'll have to talk to him to find out.

I've programmed for 26 years but never did it as a job so I don't know anything about managing a large project across several developers. Maybe C# is better on this issue? eh? ::)

Osgeld

Dec 31, 2010, 07:13 am Last Edit: Dec 31, 2010, 07:24 am by Osgeld Reason: 1
its just a language, spoken English amongst different contributors is an issue

nothing against C#, but its not a silver bullet

I personally prefer namespaces, but I use lua heavily so its not uncomon to shove a shi+ton of things in a table where it is easily and logically grabbed

but even in that, which can make # look like shorthand there are always people who want to do it totally different  

Code: [Select]

card = {}
card.types = {}
card.data = {}
card.data.type = visa
card.data.number = xxxxxx

card.data.read = function()
   print(card.data.type)
   print(card.data.number)
end

customer.account = {}

etc

though with lua, (mind you its interpreted) you can honestly shove anything into table arrays, including classes in tables in tables in classes  ;)

CowJam

I've just started with c# since they prefer asp.net to php at work.  
It's nicer than VB script but I have to say, I miss turbo pascal.  

I'm yet to find a dev environmnent I like as much as I did borland's DOS based TP 7.

AlphaZeta

@cowjam,

Did you mention Turbo Pascal? I still have the Borland Turbo Pascal 6/7 archived on a CD... Those were the good memories...

CowJam

You'd have to run it in a dosbox or similar alphazeta, you get a divide by zero error whenever you try to compile due to processing speed.

I've got it on four DD floppy discs.

The thing I like most about turbo pascal is that it lets me continue to think I'm great at programming.  The truth is that I was great at programming but I've spent the last 13 years not really doing any.

MikMo

I just sold my house and had to go through all my old stuff.

I found some old Turbo Pascal manuals and started to hunt for the disks just to see if it could still install. But the disks were nowhere to be found.

I learnt programming in Pascal, and Turbo Pascal was my language of choice until i started programming for Windows.

Ahh, those were the days. Programming usually consisted of 20% of your code doing what you should do and the other 80% spent on a "user interfcace" of some kind.

I made my first ever money programming, creating a database with the "Turbo Pascal 4 database toolbox".

And i you tell the young kids that they won't believe you :-)

CowJam

I remember spending ages on UIs too, making window-like systems out of dos characters and getting a mouse to work.

There's always free pascal if you want to re-live your youth.

liudr

I never learned Pascal but I like the Turbo C, code, output, and debug "windows". I think the system also has a context help on functions and C statements, very cool at that time.

I also like the TASM, was that what it was called? MASM absolutely sucked. TASM and TC have the same look-and-feel. The comipler is also faster than MASM. Only drawback is it doesn't support 386 protected mode. I forget which one TASM or MASM could compile 386 code with the what "E6" or something prefix to do 32 bit operation on the original 16 bit OpCodes. Sweet memory still remains here: "Arduino rocks but I still miss rep movsd;"

Ran Talbott

Borland (well, whatever conglomerate owns the name these days) gives away a limited version of C++ Version 5 or so.  A google search for something like "free c++ download" should turn it up.  I'm pretty sure there were "vintage" versions of TP available,  too.

The old C++ compilers are not necessarily mere curiosities:  back in the 1990s,  I worked for a company that made products with embedded 80188s.  We used a DOS version of BCC,  with a third-party runtime library,  to develop all our firmware.

Go Up