Go Down

Topic: AVR MKII "Upload using Programmer" serial monitor is blank... (Read 609 times) previous topic - next topic

bamboosam

Mar 01, 2013, 08:45 am Last Edit: Mar 01, 2013, 08:46 am by bamboosam Reason: 1
I am programming a 1284p using the AVR MKII - Upload using Programmer, works great, extremely fast, but I cant get the serial monitor to work, its just blank, even when I a have Serial.println("HERE");

Is it even possible when using the MKII, if not can I use an ftdi basic - Upload using Programmer and serial monitor?

pylon

The programmer isn't using the serial interface (USART) but the SPI. Did you expect the serial information to go that way?

bamboosam

Mar 03, 2013, 08:59 pm Last Edit: Mar 03, 2013, 10:02 pm by bamboosam Reason: 1
No, I guess I just didn't think about it. I am only able to program sketches using the AVR MKII, not the ftdi basic. I need to be able to use the serial monitor, how may I achieve this?

When I try using the ftdi basic I get:

Using Port                    : /dev/tty.usbserial-A800f346
        Using Programmer              : arduino
        Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude done.  Thank you.

EDIT: I just tried this and it works: Hook up the MKII and FTDI Basic, select MKII as programmer, hold shift click program to program, the ftdi automatically communicates with the micro, only one problem with this is that the MKII will scramble my external dataflash which is also using SPI. A simple switch could resolve this but I know I will end up click program before switching it off. A logic AND gate hooked up to a digital pin set high in setup and data line - dataflash may resolve that issue.?

EDIT: The external dataflash has a reset pin, when set LOW it goes into idle state, and it will always stay low during MKII transmission, so an AND gate is not necessary. Ill test it out before calling it concrete.

bamboosam

This is a concrete WHEELBARROW:

Yes wheelbarrow, not wheel barrel lol Finding this out after 28 years

Go Up