Go Down

Topic: Teaching arduino in 300-level class, suggestions? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

Valalvax

Dec 31, 2010, 12:56 am Last Edit: Dec 31, 2010, 12:58 am by Valalvax Reason: 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPnX-hx94OU

It's meant to be ... silly, and fun... dissolves in rain so it cleans itself up (probably bad for the environment)

Also, on topic: I am very new to Arduino (it was my Christmas present), if you send me any potential lessons, I can judge how doable for someone new to it they are (of course, I work through them and learn something for myself /cheer)

liudr

What the heck? I don't teach laws?! Well, that would be lying to the audience. Newton's laws of motion are perfectly qualified as laws but not human laws. Human laws, as mentioned by a few, are meant to be broken but not physics laws, when you're dealing with situations within the range the laws apply, like you can't move near speed of light or have too little energy.

daveg360

I'm a little confused by this:
Prerequisite for the class:
Physics 1 and 2 (calculus-based)
College level calculus 1 and 2

What I wish to have as prerequisite:
100-level programming

Your existing prerequisites don't really have much to do with electronics or programming?  The prerequisite you're looking to add makes some sense except I'd see the Arduino as a good way of introducing non programmers to programming and you'll be excluding those people?
If your system involves lethal voltages/life critical/flamable elements - you probably shouldn't need to ask.
The Arduino != PC.

liudr

I know! It's wrong. College students should learn programming in their first year. All I get at 300 level is they have good math and basic circuits from physics 2.

focalist

sheesh.. you'd think that they would have at least some type of scripting language, data parsing and processing... I'm thinking PERL basics by that level would be almost mandatory..
When the testing is complete there will be... cake.

liudr

There is a required programming course but many of them take it too late. They're not required to take the course by a certain time and the course is not a prerequisite for any other courses, at least for a physics major. This is total BS. I can see half my class have taken it and the other half have not.

Go Up