Go Down

Topic: Adafruit motor shield - intermittent power to motors (Read 915 times) previous topic - next topic

liomry

Hi All,

I'm having some issues with my motor shield and constant power to my motors.

I'm using a sainsmart 4WD arduino chassis with 4 x 4.5v motors
I have the motors wired to M1 - M4 of the adafruit motor shield with the power jumper removed and a 1800mAH 9.6v battery pack wired in.

When I run the motors using the code below they only seem to run for 4-5 seconds at most before stopping for a second and restarting. Can anyone suggest a cause or a method for troubleshooting? I'm pretty new to all of this.
Code: [Select]

#include <AFMotor.h>

int running=0;

NewPing sonar(trigPin, echoPin, MAX_DISTANCE);

AF_DCMotor motor1(1);
AF_DCMotor motor2(2);
AF_DCMotor motor3(3);
AF_DCMotor motor4(4);

void setup()                    // run once, when the sketch starts
{
  Serial3.begin(115200);     
  motor1.setSpeed(100);
  motor2.setSpeed(100);
  motor3.setSpeed(100);
  //motor4.setSpeed(100);
  startMotors();

}

void stopMotors()
{
  motor1.run(RELEASE);
  motor2.run(RELEASE);
  motor3.run(RELEASE);
  motor4.run(RELEASE);
  running = 0;
}

void startMotors()
{
  motor1.run(FORWARD);
  motor2.run(FORWARD);
  motor3.run(BACKWARD);
  //motor4.run(BACKWARD);

running = 1;
}

void loop() {               

}

Incidentally, today I noticed one of the power pins had broken on the front left motor so I had to use a soldering iron to melt the plastic and get at the contact again (nasty job). I believe the issue existed before I noticed this and the motor still isn't working. Related?

liomry

Ignore the newping btw, I had some ultrasonic distance sensing controlling the motors but took out the code for testing.

Also I have disabled motor4 since it needs to be repaired again

MarkT

Perhaps noise from the motor wiring is reseting the Arduino - you have a separate supply from the sound of it,
perhaps the motor wiring runs too close to the Arduino?

You could add a delay of a couple of seconds at the start of setup (), then if it is a reset problem it will pause
much longer before restarting, whereas if its some other issue the behaviour shouldn't change after the first
power-up.   Can you watch the LED on pin13 too?
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

liomry

Sorry for the delay, led 13 doesn't seem to fluctuate and I haven't noticed any increase in the delay.

I did find this in the motorshield FAQ and I have a sainsmart 4WD chassis so I'm going to try soldering on these caps.
http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-motor-shield/faq
"I have good solid power supplies, but the DC motors seem to 'cut out' or 'skip'"

Any other suggestions?

Go Up