Go Down

Topic: Computer PSU and Arduino (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

phinsil6

Hello! For a project of mine I would like to incorporate an arduino controlling somewhat large loads (many 1A loads 12VDC mainly LEDs) from my arduino with the power coming from my computer PSU.   My psu is this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121040).  It is a 1.2kW supply with 100A available on the 12V rail.  Are there any things I should know about using large amounts of power from a computer PSU?  things like power protection or any intricacies of a psu that Im not aware of?
Thank you very much for any help, I would really not like to hurt my beast of a psu and computer to boot!!

phinsil6

phinsil6

seanz2003

Making a workbench power supply from an atx PSU is a fairly common project. A Google search will give you numerous examples. Though I would strongly discourage 'borrowing' power from the computer, meaning- don't try to run your computer and your projects off the same unit (formula for disaster). While in theory it is possible, Murphy's law will catch up with you.

phinsil6

yes the goal of the project was for the computer and the project to be drawing power simultaneously from the psu.  i know that this is theoretically possible because the psu is only a transformer with high current power electronics and filtering to provide very smooth power to the computer.  I was only hoping that somebody would provide me with some technical details as to why this is a bad idea.

why do you think it would be a formula for disaster?

Go Up