Go Down

Topic: [Solved] Convert Arduino Uno R3's 16U2 Microcontroller to ISP Programmer (Read 261 times) previous topic - next topic

Programming

Hi forum. I really need help.

I have got an Arduino Uno R3. Arduino Uno R3's has a programmed Atmel 16U2 microcontroller for converting Usb to TTL. This microcontroller can be programmed using "Flip" (With activating 16U2's DFU Mode)

Can i replace 16U2's Usb to TLL program with ArduinoISP program?

So, i want upload new bootloader or upload sketchs without bootloader (upload with programmer) without external programmer.

I can't buy a new programmer or a new arduino now.

Is that possible converting Uno R3's Usb To TTL 16U2 chip to ArduinoISP or an ISP (AVRISP, AVRISP mkii, etc.) (I mean i want use Arduino Uno R3 with self ISP)

If there are a hex file for them, i can upload it with "Flip" program.

Edit: I found this, but i can't get it to work. It starts to programming, but after a minute, it says usb timed out.

http://make.kosakalab.com/make/electronic-work/burn_bootloader_uno_en/

dmjlambert

There is another thread in this forum titled Self-ISP on an Uno which covers this subject.

Programming

There is another thread in this forum titled Self-ISP on an Uno which covers this subject.
Yes, but it is for Uno R2 and it requires another Uno

Programming

Finally i fixed the problem. I used Atmel Studio for flashing.
Finally my Arduino Self-ISP itself.

Please remove the thread.

Isaac96

If you want an even easier way of changing the firmware, look at HoodLoader2. It is a bootloader that turns your 16u2 into a Leonardo, a ISP, or a HID device. All it takes is a few wires. The installation sketch is uploaded to your Uno and it burns the 16u2!
HoodLoader:
https://github.com/NicoHood/HoodLoader2
I use UnoJoy and Hoodloader for HID. No Leonardo!
Do not PM me for help.Only links to topics.

CONNECT THE GROUNDS!

mart256

Finally i fixed the problem. I used Atmel Studio for flashing.
Finally my Arduino Self-ISP itself.

Please remove the thread.
Why? Your solution may help others.

Programming

Why? Your solution may help others.
Ok, i will explain the solution.
I never get it to work with avrdude.
But if i use AtmelStudio, it programs easily.

I worked very hard to get it work with avrdude, but i can't.
I installed drivers and hex file correct. (Driver is LibUSB)

Can i upload my sketches without Avrdude using Atmel Studio?

Isaac96

HoodLoader2 is not meant to be installed with Flip. It is a bootloader, not a firmware like HoodLoader. Read the HoodLoader2 wiki, especially the "Installation Sketch" page. That will give you a good understanding of how to use it.  Also, the "Self-ISP on a Uno" will work on a R3, but yes you do need either a ISP, another Arduino, or a Usb-Serial convertor.

CONNECT THE GROUNDS!

Programming

HoodLoader2 is not meant to be installed with Flip. It is a bootloader, not a firmware like HoodLoader. Read the HoodLoader2 wiki, especially the "Installation Sketch" page. That will give you a good understanding of how to use it.  Also, the "Self-ISP on a Uno" will work on a R3, but yes you do need either a ISP, another Arduino, or a Usb-Serial convertor.
I fixed it my problem, thanks for your help. I did it without another ISP device.
But, it is not working with AVRDUDE. It is only works with Atmel Studio. Can i upload my programs with Atmel Studio?

Will uploading hex file directly with Programmer section work?

Isaac96

Hold on. HoodLoader is not working with avrdude? Do you have the right MCU selected?

CONNECT THE GROUNDS!

Go Up