Go Down

Topic: keyboard.print vs. keyboard.write vs. keyboard.press? (Read 943 times) previous topic - next topic

ahhreeyell

I was reading up on keystrokes here: http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/MouseKeyboard

I'm still not entirely sure what the differences are between those three functions. Could somebody please explain the differences to me a bit better? I'm writing a program that involves sending keystrokes to my computer, and I'm not quite sure which one is the appropriate one to use. Thanks.

Erdin

The Keyboard.press() should be followed by a Keyboard.release(). That is how your 'real' keyboard is. You could keep the button pressed a long time. For example, if you want to move forward in a game, you want to keep pressing that button.

To make it simpler for you, the Keyboard.write() sends a single character. Like you press a button on the keyboard and release it.

To send a string of text, the Keyboard.print() function is used. Like typing a whole sentence.

To send a string of text followed by Enter, the function Keyboard.println() is used.

Why so many functions ? Well, the 'normal' basic functions are the Keyboard.press() and the Keyboard.release(). The other functions are a result of the 'stream' class. The 'stream' class is a common class used by other classes, it uses the same functions for all sorts of communication (write,print,println).

Nick Gammon

A write (or print) is basically a press + release.

So to send "normal" text, writing or printing is fine. eg.

Code: [Select]

Keyboard.print ("hi there");

However if you want to press a key (eg. Shift) and then press another key (eg. Enter) then you would probably do 2 x press and then a releaseAll.

This is the code for write:

Code: [Select]

size_t Keyboard_::write(uint8_t c)
{
uint8_t p = press(c); // Keydown
uint8_t r = release(c); // Keyup
return (p); // just return the result of press() since release() almost always returns 1
}

So you can see it just presses and releases the required key.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy