Go Down

Topic: Yup, I may have gotten myself a little over my head... (temperature probes/net.. (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Columnmn

Hi all.

I work for quite a large catering company, they've got many, many different sites.

We've got to do temperature checks twice daily. So I rigged up some one wire waterproof temp probes, hooked them into all the fridges, and got it all working to upload data into excel document. Works fantastically.

It seems to have impressed all my bosses, and I'm now in the process with another guy of making up a business plan to implement it (possibly worldwide, 56000 sites, I'm not kidding on that).

So it's got be able to programmed in one location, and wired in at site. Then just work, or be adjusted remotely.

So, where I'm at...

I can make a web server that'll display the temps via ethernet shield. Then an I.T. guy in the company can make a script that'll find all the web servers, combine the data, and we'll have searchable temps from each site. I'm hoping to make it send emails to certain addresses if a temp is out. I'm pretty sure I can figure that part out.

It's the idiot proofing that's messing me up.

I was wondering if it'd be possible to adjust a sketch via the webserver page. So if a temp probe dies (the one wire has a unique code for each temp probe), a new one can be hooked up, and somebody can remotely alter parts of the sketch via the webpage. (or change certain parts of the sketch, so a box somebody can type in, and it'll change preset parts of the sketch).

I've done some searching but I'm not coming up with much. If anybody had some links of something similar that's been done, I'm happy to figure out the rest.

retrolefty

While maybe not theoretically impossible (hardly anything is) I would venture to say it will not end up happening, at least not as you invision. What you are effectively asking is can someone make changes to the sketch and re burn them into the chip from a remote web site. No there is just not a simple say to do that in my opinion. They can do it for the Mars Rangers but they have much more powerful hardware and a much bigger wallet and teams of smart people building all the redundancy and contingency plans possible into the system.

If the intention is to be able to provide all troubleshooting and reconfiguration fixes for 56000 sites from a single remote site via web connections then I think your business plan will crash and burn sooner or later. You will need field support people to travel from time to time to fix stuff.

Lefty

sonnyyu

I was wondering if it'd be possible to adjust a sketch via the webserver page. So if a temp probe dies (the one wire has a unique code for each temp probe), a new one can be hooked up, and somebody can remotely alter parts of the sketch via the webpage. (or change certain parts of the sketch, so a box somebody can type in, and it'll change preset parts of the sketch).

I don't know there are any way allow modify sketch during run time,  however there is some type workaround.

Plan A.

TFTP Bootloader, With this and an Ethernet shield, it's easy to upload code to any Internet-connected Arduino, whether it's on your desk or halfway across the world. webserver create correct file and save it at TFTP server.

TFTP Bootloader

Plan B.

Java applet at web page. It called online Arduino IDE. Java applet upload the file.

Plan C.
ActiveX at at web page, if u are in Microsoft/IE  house.

Columnmn

I don't know there are any way allow modify sketch during run time,  however there is some type workaround.

Plan A.

TFTP Bootloader, With this and an Ethernet shield, it's easy to upload code to any Internet-connected Arduino, whether it's on your desk or halfway across the world. webserver create correct file and save it at TFTP server.

TFTP Bootloader

Plan B.

Java applet at web page. It called online Arduino IDE. Java applet upload the file.

Plan C.
ActiveX at at web page, if u are in Microsoft/IE  house.

I think that tftp bootloader might be a plan. I'll have to do some more reading up.

Thanks for the help.

Retroplayer

What changes or adjustments to the sketch do you need? It sounds like the things you need (from your description) could just be stored and recalled from EEPROM. So, just include code to handle that from an admin page.

It sounds like you need to only change some constants, not the actual code. But adding in the bootloader may be a good idea to update and upgrade the programs as needed.

If it is any consolation, I don't think any product is idiot proof and certainly not on the first launch. It's not until the real world happens that you see all the variables that can happen. It would be unrealistic not to expect problems to pop up. My only suggestion is to do a lot of testing on a small, regional basis first before trying to deploy tens of thousands of units.

Go Up