Go Down

Topic: Parallel library for Due External Memory Bus/Static Memory Controller (Read 10619 times) previous topic - next topic

delsauce

This library enables the External Memory Bus/Static Memory Controller on the Arduino Due board. It's more of an external memory interface than a true parallel port.

The DUE board pins out the data bus on the extended digital headers (D0-D7:PIN34-PIN41) along with the control signals NCS1 and NWR. Some of the address signals are connected to the PWM pins (A0-A5), but a full address bus is unavailable. There is also conflict between the SS1 pin for SPI, A5, and the NRD signal used for the parallel bus. In short the hardware wasn't designed for use with external parallel memories.

The library does allow connection to some of the lower resolution LCD controllers that used index addressing and can speed up read/write times considerably in some situations.

Code is hosted up on git.
https://github.com/delsauce/ArduinoDueParallel

Graynomad

In short the hardware wasn't designed for use with external parallel memories.

Something I spotted early in the peice and will never understand.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

delsauce

It would have been a nice surprise to see an address/data bus pinned out, but this was the first foray for the Arduino folks into a much more complicated processor.  The overall goal of simplicity is critical and I guess this feature wasn't above the bar for the first ARM board.  It's certainly a balancing act to get everything in there. 

On top of that, this part isn't nearly as configurable as some of Atmel's homegrown 32-bit parts, the UC3 family.  In those parts each function can go to sometimes as many as 6 different pins.  In the SAM3X, many functions only have a single pin option, maybe two if you're lucky.

Anyhoo, there is still some limited use of the EMB/SMC in the current DUE...

stimmer

Could you add the other address lines anyway, even though some are missing? And do you know which is connected where and which are missing? I think A9 was wired to an LED so is inconvenient but I don't know about the others. You could possibly alter the read/write methods to shuffle the address to avoid the missing bus lines.

Also it's not completely impossible for a very determined hacker to solder to an unconnected pin if you take care to mask off the other pins close by (and know how to get yourself out of trouble when it goes wrong :) )

I don't think the NRD clash is such a big problem, the timing can be deduced from NWR and CS.

The upcoming version of the VGA library uses DMA to the SMC data bus to generate the colour modes, with the signal timings controlling the pixel rate.
Due VGA library - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,150517.0.html

Graynomad

I haven't looked for a while but I thought the only show stopper was A5 or maybe A6, all the other pins are broken out IIRC. So I think a determined hacker could solder onto that pin.

I don't remember A9 on a LED but that maybe, which case ditch the LED.

_____
Rob

delsauce

Here are most of the SMC pins and how they are connected.  I left out the NAND flash stuff and didn't double check for accuracy...

Address Bus:

Function Chip PinArduino Pin
A0PC21PWM9
A1PC22PWM8
A2PC23PWM7
A3PC24PWM6
A4PC25PWM5
A5PC26PWM4
A6PC27N/C
A7PC28PWM3
A8PC29PWM10
A9PC30RX LED
A10PD0PIN 25
A11PD1PIN 26
A12PD2PIN 27
A13PD3PIN 28
A14PD4TXD0
A15PD5RXD0
A16PD6PIN 29
A17PD7PWM11
A18PA25MISO
A19PA26MOSI
A20PA27/PA18SPCK/SCL1
A21PD8PWM12
A22PD9PIN 30

Here is the data bus:

D0PC2PIN 34
D1PC3PIN 35
D2PC4PIN 36
D3PC5PIN 37
D4PC6PIN 38
D5PC7PIN 39
D6PC8PIN 40
D7PC9PIN 41
D8PC10N/C
D9PC11N/C
D10PC12PIN 51
D11PC13PIN 50
D12PC14PIN 49
D13PC15PIN 48
D14PC16PIN 47
D15PC17PIN 46

And the control signals:

NRDPA29(also tied to PC26 on PCB, which is A5)SS1/PWM4
NWEPC18PIN 45
NCS0PA6AD4
NCS1PA7PIN 31
NCS2PB24N/C
NCS3PB27PWM13

There isn't too much you can do with the A5/NRD problem in software since the two pins are wired together on the PCB (I am not sure why those pins are wired together...)  If you were careful, you could cut the trace on the bottom side of the board...

I can pretty easily add all the pins to the library and let the user sort out any conflicts.

stimmer

Thanks :) If you add the addresses to the library I'll check it with a SRAM.

I managed to attach to the pin for port C 27 without soldering 8) You need an IC pigtail clip like this:

http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/hook-with-pigtail-p-805.html

Straighten the ends a little with sharp-nose pliers and cut a little off the plastic sheath, and cover the outsides of the ends with an etch-resist pen to insulate from the adjacent pins. Use this sketch to help you get the right pin.

Code: [Select]
// Address A6 / Port C 27 test by stimmer

// Port C 27 is above the right edge of the SPI connector
// it is the 7th pin from the bottom right end of the SAM3X

// Output on port C 27 is high impedance for
// 1 second, followed by 5 short HIGH/LOW pulses

// Output on Port C 26 (to the left of C27) is HIGH whilst C27 is Hi-Z
// and Hi-Z whilst C27 is blinking

// Output on Port C 28 (to the right of C27) is HIGH for 0.5 sec then
// LOW for 0.5 sec whilst C27 is Hi-Z, and Hi-Z whilst C27 is blinking

// Using this you can tell if you have the right pin, and if you are
// accidentally touching one of the adjacent pins.

void setup() {                
}

void loop() {
 pinMode(3,OUTPUT);    
 pinMode(4,OUTPUT);

PIOC->PIO_PER = 1<<27;  
 PIOC->PIO_ODR = 1<<27;
 digitalWrite(3, HIGH);  
 digitalWrite(4, HIGH);  
 delay(500);            
 digitalWrite(3, LOW);  
 delay(500);            
 digitalWrite(4, LOW);  
 pinMode(3,INPUT);    
 pinMode(4,INPUT);
 PIOC->PIO_OER = 1<<27;
 for(int i=0;i<5;i++){
   PIOC->PIO_SODR = 1<<27;
   delay(100);
   PIOC->PIO_CODR = 1<<27;
   delay(100);
 }

}

A9 is the north side of the RX led and can be attached with an unmodified pigtail clip.

delsauce

Thanks :) If you add the addresses to the library I'll check it with a SRAM.

New code posted up on github.  Now you can have all 16 data pins and 23 address pins if you wish.  Note that you can't have A5 and NRD since the pins are wired together.  You'll need to operate without NRD if using A5 or cut the trace on the bottom of the board that ties the two pins together.

https://github.com/delsauce/ArduinoDueParallel.git

stimmer

Brilliant work - after setting some conservative timings it worked first time  :smiley-mr-green:

I am using a 128KByte SRAM (AS6C1008) so only used the first 17 address lines. I didn't use NRD, I just tied the OE pin low (a write cycle still works with OE low - OE is active low)

#include <Parallel.h>

void setup() {

Parallel.begin(PARALLEL_BUS_WIDTH_8, PARALLEL_CS_0, 17, false, true);
 Parallel.setCycleTiming(16,16);
 Parallel.setPulseTiming(4,4,4,4);
 Parallel.setAddressSetupTiming(4,4,4,4);

Serial.begin(115200);
}

void loop() {

int t=micros();

randomSeed(t);

Serial.print("WRITE seed="); Serial.print(t);
 for(int a=0;a<131072;a++)  Parallel.write(a,random(256));
 Serial.println(" done");

randomSeed(t);
 Serial.print("READ ");
 for(int a=0;a<131072;a++){
   int d=Parallel.read(a);
   int r=random(256);
   if(d!=r){
     Serial.println();
     Serial.print("Error at address ");
     Serial.print(a,HEX);
   }
 }  
 Serial.println("done");
}

WRITE - seed=679868002 done
READ done
WRITE - seed=680429926 done
READ done
WRITE - seed=680991852 done
READ done
WRITE - seed=681553778 done
READ done
WRITE - seed=682115712 done
READ done
WRITE - seed=682677638 done
READ done

I could probably get the timings down lower but given the spaghetti on my breadboard perhaps that's not such a good idea  8)

update: got the timings down to
 Parallel.setCycleTiming(5,5);
 Parallel.setPulseTiming(4,4,4,4);
 Parallel.setAddressSetupTiming(1,1,1,1);
Given that it's a 55ns part I can't go any lower.

One last request: a getAddr() method :)

Graynomad

Really nice stuff.

So for the sake of breaking out 2 pins this could have been an easy add on. Is that the case?

______
Rob

stimmer

It would have been easier, yes, although I'd like to have had the other 2 data bus pins too (if I had to choose between the two I'd pick the data bus pins)

I'm not sure how worthwhile a memory expansion would be commercially, given that there's already quite a lot of ram in the Due, and there's always the Raspberry Pi for applications needing huge of memory. But it's an interesting enough project if you've already got an old SRAM chip ;)

delsauce

One last request: a getAddr() method :)

This is so that you can access the memory mapped peripheral directly without incurring the overhead of read/write?  If so, that seems like a reasonable request.  I realize that the current code isn't as efficient as it could be because I opted for simplicity.  Perhaps there is a better way I could have implemented it that would achieve both.  I'll noodle on that.

In the meantime, you can grab the new code with getAddress() on github

stimmer

It's more so I can use memset/memcpy/memmove and test if my circuit is reliable at full speed.

You can make the read and write methods faster by moving the code inside the class definition in the .h file, then the compiler will automatically inline them, removing the overhead.

Hello, Could somebody help me with a parallel data problem ?
I'm building a robot with two quadrature encoders for feed back control with an Arduino DUE. I need to read 8 bit parallel data values coming from the two Quadrature Decoder/ Counter Interface IC HCTL 2022 (from one of the two at a time of course). I've chosen the Arduino DUE's processor's pins PC12 to PC19 for my data bits D0 to D7. I can manage for selecting the register I want to read in one of the two ICs but could you give me the few lines of code needed for setting up my 8 bits data bus in the setup() and in the loop() for reading the values with the fastest method and form a byte from the reading. I don't need to send values on the 8 bit data bus,I only need to read incoming values.
Thanks a lot for helping because I don't understand the code given in the previous posts.

LMI

Random thoughts about CPU speed and external bus speed. It will be very difficult to get an external memory to work at CPU speed 80MHz. It may help if every memory read or write takes several clock cycles, but is it a RISC cpu after that. Really fast CPUs use several tricks to get relatively slow external memory and high CPU clock frequency to match. But I understand those are not possible with this chip. 80MHz clock needs faster than 12ns =1/80MHz memory.

When I read the posts more carefully I noticed that there is a speed setting for external memories. Even slower. Perhaps the external memory is more useful with some data roms or IO.

About IO. Slower IO operations are usually ok, because there are less of those than memory operations. And relatively slow IO is often not a problem if I think about external devices.

By the way, if address and data had been multiplexed it would take less pins. 16 address/datapins muxed gives 65000 16bit IO ports. Enough?

To fablagrenouille:
I think quadrature encoders are not so fast you need this kind of buses. Register/port reading and writing is easy and forums are full of instructions of how it is done.

Go Up