Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: ArduinoISP on serial rs232  (Read 1738 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I was wondering if you have a spare pcb for that programmer you built?
Only thing that is missing for what I have in mind is a zif socket to program bare chips smiley
I also wonder - if there is no sd card - can you upload a sketch like you do with the arduino/avrdude ? Like if you want to test and find out you need to change things, do you have to compile and put the new hex file on the sd card first?

If you plan on adding an lcd - consider using a touch screen - that would make an awesome interface, but would probably force you to use a mega (for extra pins and memory)

update: still no joy - but I have to admit I got a bit distracted and didn't spend much time on it these last days
I am uncertain about a reset line on the programmer though - from what I learnt so far I don't need to reset the programmer when the serial communication starts
using the uno as a programmer I disable the reset signal using the cap, right?
and the arduinoISP sketch resets the target when it needs to, right?
Just double checking the obvious things - correct me if i'm wrong

so far I think the serial connection is not working right - but I'm still not sure. maybe the arduino/avrdude doesnt like the usb to serial pl2303? I'm going to try and verify that when I find some more time - use the uno but connect the max232 to the tx/rx pins and see if that works

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Just order one from here, which is where I got mine:

http://evilmadscience.com/productsmenu/tinykitlist/230

I used the Micro SD card breakout:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/254

I also wonder - if there is no sd card - can you upload a sketch like you do with the arduino/avrdude ? Like if you want to test and find out you need to change things, do you have to compile and put the new hex file on the sd card first?

No, it doesn't try to be an Arduino as ISP. It runs independently. However I find that it only takes seconds to copy the .hex file to the card and eject it. I have a console window up, and up-arrow to repeat the copy/eject command.

using the uno as a programmer I disable the reset signal using the cap, right?

Yes, you don't want the Uno to reset.

and the arduinoISP sketch resets the target when it needs to, right?

And it should reset the target by bringing reset low.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Update ...
I have tested my idea using the Uno R3 - and that works
And I realized - that if this works using rs232 - it could probably also work using a wireless serial protocol - with some adaptation to the sketch off course - but first i need to go back to the standalone 328p and figure out why that was not working as an isp
To be continued ...

Some more info for those that want to do the same sort of thing ... what works so far:

Arduino ide 1.0.3 on a mac
pl2303 usb to rs232 serial converter
max232 (rs232 to ttl) converter hooked up to tx/rx on a
arduino uno r3 clone, battery fed with 4xAA rechargable battery @ 5v, running the ArduinoISP sketch (adafruit fork)
connected to the target - a 328p

The sketch I am uploading is a customised blink sketch - the rate of the led is changed to show the sketch reached the destination smiley

hmmm - no inline youtube movies?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Just a follow up ...

I eventually did get it working - using a stand alone 328p
it seems there is a bad connection on the breadboard

I will have to solder it up on some protoboard to get a reliable result.