Go Down

Topic: Measuring 90 MHz with Arduino Due (Read 120 times) previous topic - next topic

I need to measure a variable frequency, between 70 and 90 MHz and output a 0-5 VDC voltage level via DAC. I am planning to use an Arduino Due for the project. Can someone guide me to a suitable high-speed (100 MHz?) cascading counter?

BillHo

You can use this Arduino-Frequency-Counter-with-LCD to measure up to 64 Mhz and using Frequency Counter Prescaler to extend the range.

dlloyd

Mar 17, 2015, 03:11 pm Last Edit: Mar 17, 2015, 03:12 pm by dlloyd
Looks like a job for a CPLD, programmed to measure 70-90 MHz in, programmed with parallel or SPI output having 12-bit resolution (0-4095). Then the Due board would write this data to the DAC.

Note that the Due's DAC operates from 1/6 to 5/6 Vcc (0.55 to 2.75V). The hardware SPI on the Due can be configured for 12-bit data with SPI register manipulation. An alternate method for getting an equivalent 0-5V output would be to configure and use a 12-bit PWM output on the Due.

If you're not doing other processing, you could just use a CPLD module connected to an appropriate DAC IC. There is a bit of a learning curve to programming a CPLD, however free software and lots of resources are available ... (just thinking out loud).

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy