buffer[4] = '0x30';
  buffer[5] = '0x03';
  buffer[6] =   getCheckSum(buffer);

return buffer;
}

uint8_t getCheckSum(char *string)
{
  int XOR = 0;
  for (int i = 0; i < strlen(string); i++)
  {
    XOR = XOR ^ string[i];
  }
  return XOR;
}

is it correct?
I'm wondering this because by printing Serial.print(et_prepareMessage()); the result I can not see the hex string but some strange character.
Thank you

billroy

Returning the address of a local variable declared on the stack is bound to cause problems, because the memory it occupied on the stack is quickly reused.

Move the declaration of buffer[] out of the function to make it global and it should help.

-br

spatula

Serial.print() is good for printable characters, which is not your case. The second byte would be treated as a string terminating character so you would only send one byte. You should use Serial.write().

In your particular use case you may also do without a buffer, just call repeatedly Serial.write() with the different bytes. If you think you really need a buffer, either declare it globally or declare it within loop, then pass it as an argument to et_prepareMessage(). This way the buffer will not go out of scope when et_prepareMessage returns.

bl4d3

Hi, I made in this way
Code: [Select]

char buffer[7];

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
  delay(1000);
  et_prepareMessage();
  delay(200);
  Serial.write(buffer);
}

void et_prepareMessage() {

buffer[0] = '0x02';
  buffer[1] = '0x00';
  buffer[2] = '0x02';
  buffer[3] = '0x30';
  buffer[4] = '0x30';
  buffer[5] = '0x03';
  buffer[6] =   getCheckSum(buffer);
}

uint8_t getCheckSum(char *string)
{
  int XOR = 0;
  for (int i = 0; i < strlen(string); i++)
  {
    XOR = XOR ^ string[i];
  }
  return XOR;
}

I declared the buffer globally, but the output on the serial is pretty strange, take a look at this screenshot

is it right?
Thank you

spatula

is it right?

Not yet. In getCheckSum() you use strlen, which is based on the presence of a string terminating char (0). But your second byte is 0 so strlen will return 1 and the checksum will be wrong. You can hardcode the length directly in the for() loop, but if you want to make getCheckSum() reusable you can add a second argument for the length of the buffer, i.e. declare getCheckSum(byte* buf, int len).
The general rule is that for an array of bytes without a terminating char you need to supply its length. So, when you call Serial.write() you should pass the buffer length, i.e. Serial.write(buf, len).

PaulS

Code: [Select]
  buffer[0] = '0x02';
I seriously doubt that the receiver expects a multibyte character. I really think that you need to lose the quotes.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy