Go Down

Topic: Help on getting started (Read 890 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi all,

First off, I want to say I'm a beginner. I have an Arduino Uno rev 3 and I want to make a simple robot. I have my eyes on either the Dadu magician chassis or the tamiya tracked vehicle set. Which one should I buy? Also, will a motor shield absolutely be necessary? Please help me on how to start!

Thank you

JimboZA

If you have a motor that doesn't need reversing, it can be powered by a transistor setup as shown here. If you do need to reverse it, an h-bridge is called for.  The h-bridge chip doesn't have to be on a shield, nor even on a factory built board, and can be made from scratch using a chip like a 298 on a breadboard as shown in this tutorial.

H-bridge chips like the 298 (which by the way, is not the only or even the best h-bridge chip) drive 2 motors, and so shields / boards using them allow you to hook up 2 motors very easily.

Louis Davis

Have you looked at the Pololu Zumo robot?
I have one and I would highly recommend it as a first Arduino robot.
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2505

JimboZA

Have you looked at the Pololu Zumo robot?

Hmmm I should have mentioned we have one of those, which we run from their 2130 driver board.

ARDUINOROBOTS24, if you use a 298 driver like the MotoMama you'll see they have heatsinks the size of a truck; the 2130 is much smaller and (although I'm sketchy on the details  8) ) uses a different technology and doesn't waste all that energy.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy