Go Down

Topic: How to measure chip (or other component) temperature? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Docedison

With the tip about the grease, quite well... Mine does or did until the probe was "Lost".. I own a Fluke 179.

Bob
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

afremont

Seen a 7805 open up once, guess the shutdown had an issue.  I also learned it's also a good idea to pay attention to voltage and polarity with tantalum caps.  Anybody got any really good incendiary stories?
Experience, it's what you get when you were expecting something else.

Docedison

--> WA7EMS <--

retrolefty

Just because I haven't seen it mentioned here but many of the AVR chips, including the 328P, have an internal die temperature sensor impeded into the chip die. By selecting the proper analog mux selector bits one can read this temperature value. It's an un-calibrated temperature so not too useful and any reading taken is more a reflection of how much current you are sourcing or sinking via the output pins rather then the chip itself is generating, but some have found it amusing in the past to display the value. No one to date as best I can recall has done anything really useful with that sensor.

Lefty

Docedison

Yeah it involves some 25 100000uF 3V electrolytics and a 100 foot or 33 meter extension cord... and the police too. I was 14 and found these parts in a surplus electronics store scrap-bin. Most made a hell of a noise... almost had a dud but my mother called me to lunch.. It explodes disconnected from 110Vac 15 minutes later...
Thats when the neighbor called the cops... Seems he tried to kick it off his sidewalk, dern  near blew his shoe laces off... <BG>

Bob
--> WA7EMS <--

Go Up