Go Down

Topic: connecting servos to external power supply (Read 2391 times) previous topic - next topic

smalik19

I am powering my Arduino Mega 2560 through the USB.
I am trying to power 12 HXT-500 RC servos: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__663__HXT500_5g_8kg_10sec_Micro_Servo.html
I have 4 D-cell batteries, on a pack, connected to the breadboard.
I am connecting just one servo to see if it works.
I am connecting the high from the breadboard to high of the servo, ground from breadboard to low of servo, and PWM wire connects to digital pin 2.
There is ground wire from the breadboard to the arduino, making a common ground.
I use the example program Sweep and the servo does not work. All that happens is that the battery heats up and smokes up?
What am I doing wrong?
I even tried using a 10K ohm resister between the high of the battery and the high of the servo, and nothing happens.

zoomkat

What am I doing wrong?

Obviously bad wiring causing a dead short. Below is a typical external servo power setup.

Google forum search: Use Google Advanced Search and use Http://forum.arduino.cc/index in the "site or domain:" box.

smalik19

I wired just like in the diagram:

scottyjr

Yep. Looks like a dead short to me. On that breadboard there are no vertical power rails. All the individual jumper sockets of the horizontal rows (as you look at the breadboard in the orientation as pictured in your photo) on the left or right of that center dividing strip are connected together. Among other connections that look as though they are unintentionally shorted are what looks to be the negative (black) and positive (red) leads from your battery pack on the very top row of your breadboard. Take a look at this animation. - Scotty

Go Up