Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: MAX voltage level for 5v arduino question  (Read 588 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am running a project off of 2 x (4 x AAAA(300mAh) 1.2v in series) in parallel, to achieve 4.8v 600mAh. After a full charge I am reading 5.7v at peak charge, I am using an Extech EX330. Will this cause issues with my arduino 5v micro?

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

After a full charge I am reading 5.7v at peak charge...

Load?  Open circuit?

View Profile

Open circuit

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

5.7V is under the absolute maximum voltage of 6.0V.  The battery voltage will drop under load.  Were I in your shoes I'd connect the micro and recheck the voltage.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

I charged up 3 x AA NiMh batteries. Got 4.26V. Then put a 50 mA load on it (like a Uno connected up). It dropped to 4.22V.

Extrapolated to 4 batteries that would be 5.67V under no load, and 5.63V under load. It's a bit high, but within absolute maximum ratings.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I charged up 3 x AA NiMh batteries. Got 4.26V. Then put a 50 mA load on it (like a Uno connected up). It dropped to 4.22V.

Extrapolated to 4 batteries that would be 5.67V under no load, and 5.63V under load. It's a bit high, but within absolute maximum ratings.

I think you will find that fully charged NiMh cells will only hold that higher cell voltage for a pretty short duration and then settle into a fairly flat discharge voltage for most of their duration until taking a pretty sharp decrease in cell voltage near the end of their capacity. Ni-cad cells have a similar 'flat' discharge curve, unlike lead acid or Li-po cells that have a pretty linear discharge voltage rate.

http://www.atbatt.com/pics/fckeditor/image/lr44-discharge-chart.jpg

Lefty

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I have used 4xAA rechargeble batterys before, measured at about 5,5v, and did not have any problems with that so far
i even use them to connect through the arduino connector, but passing through the on board regulator means you lose about 1 volt (tested on my mega1280)

hope this helps

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: