Go Down

Topic: MAX voltage level for 5v arduino question (Read 694 times) previous topic - next topic

bamboosam

I am running a project off of 2 x (4 x AAAA(300mAh) 1.2v in series) in parallel, to achieve 4.8v 600mAh. After a full charge I am reading 5.7v at peak charge, I am using an Extech EX330. Will this cause issues with my arduino 5v micro?

Coding Badly

After a full charge I am reading 5.7v at peak charge...

Load?  Open circuit?

bamboosam

Coding Badly

5.7V is under the absolute maximum voltage of 6.0V.  The battery voltage will drop under load.  Were I in your shoes I'd connect the micro and recheck the voltage.

Nick Gammon

I charged up 3 x AA NiMh batteries. Got 4.26V. Then put a 50 mA load on it (like a Uno connected up). It dropped to 4.22V.

Extrapolated to 4 batteries that would be 5.67V under no load, and 5.63V under load. It's a bit high, but within absolute maximum ratings.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

retrolefty

I charged up 3 x AA NiMh batteries. Got 4.26V. Then put a 50 mA load on it (like a Uno connected up). It dropped to 4.22V.

Extrapolated to 4 batteries that would be 5.67V under no load, and 5.63V under load. It's a bit high, but within absolute maximum ratings.

I think you will find that fully charged NiMh cells will only hold that higher cell voltage for a pretty short duration and then settle into a fairly flat discharge voltage for most of their duration until taking a pretty sharp decrease in cell voltage near the end of their capacity. Ni-cad cells have a similar 'flat' discharge curve, unlike lead acid or Li-po cells that have a pretty linear discharge voltage rate.

http://www.atbatt.com/pics/fckeditor/image/lr44-discharge-chart.jpg

Lefty

FigZ

I have used 4xAA rechargeble batterys before, measured at about 5,5v, and did not have any problems with that so far
i even use them to connect through the arduino connector, but passing through the on board regulator means you lose about 1 volt (tested on my mega1280)

hope this helps

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy