Go Down

Topic: L298N Motor Driver board (Read 2274 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi Guys

I'm using a L298N Motor Drive board in a parallel configuration to drive a 12V motor; the Arduino I'm using is a Mega 1280.

The motor only needs to run in one direction so the direction Pins are always set to these values:

The terminals on the motor are wired to INA and INC or INB and IND

The speed of the motor is controlled using a PWM on the ENA and ENB Pins.

The problem:

I have two of these boards, one works the other does not. I have double and triple checked all the connections and the outputs being set in the code which increments the PWM from 0 to 255 in steps of 2. I have also swapped the connections from the Arduino to the working board to the non-working board but still no response. After this I also put the connections from the Arduino to the non-working board onto the working board and it worked! Thus there must be something wrong with the board itself. I'm on a tight schedule as this is for a uni project so ordering another board from China which takes 2-3 weeks to arrive is not really an option.

Any suggestions of what could be wrong/ what I can do to rectify the problem would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Check what voltages are getting where on the board with a multimeter - there might be a split trace or dry joint
(something that's fixable), but you need to narrow down the possibilities.  It may be the L298 is blown, it may be
a knock-off L298 (quality control reject) if its a cheap board from China on eBay.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Mar 10, 2013, 06:08 am Last Edit: Mar 10, 2013, 07:19 am by JimboZA Reason: 1
Maybe you could get your hands on a loose 298 chip and just make up a new driver?- the 298 apparently doesn't fit nicely into breadboard (never tried it myself) so you might have to kludge a bit by bending the connectors, or use soldered wires. On the other hand the 293 provides similar (but not identical) capability and it's a dip16 which fits in a breadboard which makes things much simpler.

Here's an example of using a 293D on a breadboard. Edit: Caution! The 293 pins on the sketch are not drawn to match the pins on the chip- they're drawn to make the drawing neater.

Check the datasheets for the differences... max current is one that I know of, so you'll need to see if the 293 is ok for your motors. 293D has flyback diodes built in.

Gone for good

i have a similar board with L298N try to find out or your resistor capacitor diode are ok with a multimeter probably the diodes are damage
Killed:UNO, MEGA2560, ... More to come

Thanks for getting back so quickly guys.

MarkT: I have now gone over the board and can't find any split traces or dry joints.

JimboZA: I am looking into your suggestions. Thanks.

THX_RoG: All the discrete components seem to be working. Especially the diodes.

When the outputs are set to high, with a nominal 12V battery supply on VCC, only ~1.4V is seen at the terminals to the motors. I assume the chip is a dud or has been blown. Going to get a new L298N chip and swap it out, if this doesn't work I'll build my own motor driver.

Thanks again.

Surely somewhere UK will have a board?- maybe not the identical brand, but similar 298 based one? I don't know what HM's Royal Mail is like nowadays, but someone should be able to get a board to you overnight...
Gone for good

Go Up