Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Packaging Strategy is Wasting Paper Products  (Read 5689 times)
TX
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I purchased an Arduino prototype board at Radio Shack yesterday, and was shocked at the amount of packaging that was used for a small board. Please see attachment. I's a little ridiculous to use that much paper product for a tiny little board. They need to re-think their packaging strategy in light of the environment.

* overpackaging.JPG (89.34 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 67 times.)

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

You have a point,
although I also think the paper is needed to protect against rough handling during transport.  I've seen too many DOA's due to transport.
Fortunately paper can be recycled 100%.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I was going to also add that paper is 100% recyclable. Our local garbage company takes our garbage can every week and picks up recycle paper/metals can every two weeks.

Lefty

TX
View Profile

I was going to also add that paper is 100% recyclable. Our local garbage company takes our garbage can every week and picks up recycle paper/metals can every two weeks.

Lefty

That's not a good excuse IMHO Lefty. Why contribute more recycling than is needed? Why all that paper for a tiny little board? I just don't get it.

I have a side question Lefty - why do you sign your name to your posts, when each of your posts is already tagged with your membername?  smiley-roll

You have a point,
although I also think the paper is needed to protect against rough handling during transport.  I've seen too many DOA's due to transport.

Rough handling? Look at the attachment. That's the Arduino bord itself with all the packaging that came with it, and look at how much less packaging it came with. The only thing missing is an ESD bag, which is still a mistake to leave out of the packaging.

The rough handling of shipped products is handled by the shipping system - such as peanuts or other packing materials - at least in the case of such small items.

* arduinopackaging.JPG (92.72 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 42 times.)

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
View Profile

Lefty

That's not a good excuse IMHO Lefty. Why contribute more recycling than is needed? Why all that paper for a tiny little board? I just don't get it.

How do you suggest they package there products for shipment worldwide. If you have a constructive suggestion then send it to them, I'm sure they are very environmentally aware as a company.

I have a side question Lefty - why do you sign your name to your posts, when each of your posts is already tagged with your membername?  smiley-roll

Just a personal style preference.
Lefty

You have a point,

Rough handling? Look at the attachment. That's the Arduino bord itself with all the packaging that came with it, and look at how much less packaging it came with. The only thing missing is an ESD bag, which is still a mistake to leave out of the packaging.

The rough handling of shipped products is handled by the shipping system - such as peanuts or other packing materials - at least in the case of such small items.

TX
View Profile

How do you suggest they package there products for shipment worldwide.

Lefty,

Do you even think about what I write? I mean, this is at least the second time that it just seems like you speed-read or skim my posts.

What did I say? I said the safe shipment of the product (at least for this small size) is handled by the shipping container - not by the actual box (again - for this small size). Do you think they just dump a bucket load of protoboard boxes into a rail car and hope for the best? Of course not. The boxes are themselves packed into other boxes. Haven't you ever ordered anything online before? Does it arrive in the original box, or is it packed into another box for shipping?

Not to mention, how do you account for the packaging difference between the Arduino and the protoboard?

If you have a constructive suggestion then send it to them, I'm sure they are very environmentally aware as a company.[/color]

If they are anything like the administration of this forum, I doubt they will care about my message.  smiley-roll

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Can't the package also be cleverly re-folded and used as a project container for the card?  I think it even had cutouts to leave an opening for power or USB connector.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
View Profile

Do you even think about what I write?

Your making that harder for me all the time.  smiley-wink

You seem so unhappy in the Arduino world lately?

Lefty

TX
View Profile

You seem so unhappy in the Arduino world lately?

Lefty

You'll be able to tell when I'm unhappy here - I'll start signing my name to every post.

TX
View Profile

Can't the package also be cleverly re-folded and used as a project container for the card?  I think it even had cutouts to leave an opening for power or USB connector.

Oh a Global Mod!

Maybe he can tell us why the Administration team doesn't care to answer posts in the board "Website and Forum"? I guess imagining how  paper boxes might be folded is much more important.

Espoo, Finland
God Member
"Oops, try again..."
View Profile

If you have a constructive suggestion then send it to them, I'm sure they are very environmentally aware as a company.[/color]

If they are anything like the administration of this forum, I doubt they will care about my message.  smiley-roll

You think that administrators here are owners of the Arduino products, and they should answer to you?
 smiley-slim

Cheers,
Kari

The only law for me; Ohms Law: U=R*I       P=U*I
Note to self: "Damn! Why don't you just fix it!!!"

TX
View Profile

You think that administrators here are owners of the Arduino products, and they should answer to you?

You don't have a clue what I'm even talking about. Why don't you read the relevant threads before saying something that has nothing to do with the topics involved.

Espoo, Finland
God Member
"Oops, try again..."
View Profile

I can see your point very well, but why are you crying here and point to administrators?
Why not to send the message directly to manufacturer?

Package seems to be... more than enough to cover the product from factory to end user. I have received
poorly wrapped electronics that still works after all... lucky? So what, chinese products are cheap, so are
the actions with sending them.

What can we do here to have original Arduinos send like chinese cheapos?
 smiley-wink

Your attitude is, for some reason, quite hostile in this case, calm down!
 smiley

Cheers,
Kari

The only law for me; Ohms Law: U=R*I       P=U*I
Note to self: "Damn! Why don't you just fix it!!!"

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

We moderators have nothing to do with administrating the forum. We are more like volunteer organizers who try to keep things civil with some capability to delete/undelete posts, ban users, move topics around, and edit offensive posts if necessary.

If you really have a gripe over the packaging, you need to contact "The Arduino Team" who are listed on the  home page.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

TX
View Profile

I can see your point very well, but why are you crying here and point to administrators?
Why not to send the message directly to manufacturer?

Gary, Crossroads - what is the purpose of the forum board we are on right now?

Here's the title of it -

Suggestions for the Arduino Project

What do you think should be improved, features for the hard/software, bugs you found

In your own words, what would they have made the board for?

Clearly somebody wanted opinions on the Arduino Project. Somebody went to the trouble of creating this board. It's here. People post in it. Is it just for decoration? Is it just for people to waste time in, their ideas never even really being read? If it's not being read by the powers that be, then what is the point of it? IMHO you are derailing my proper use of the board, so really you need to be moderated, both of you. It's an idea for the Arduino Project, and if you both do not represent that, as officials, then you really have no business trying to shoot down my idea.

Somebody in charge of the forum wanted opinions on the Arduino Project and that's just what I'm using the board for. If they don't want to come to their own forum, and read what's in their own forum board, then why not just delete the board?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: