Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Packaging Strategy is Wasting Paper Products  (Read 5794 times)
Espoo, Finland
God Member
"Oops, try again..."
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Maybe you have on idea, but how I see this board, it is more likely for trying to develope the hardware (electronic) and the software (program, sketch)?
And you can correct me here.

But, you really should think about the way you are selling your idea, you are very aggressive.
Nobody's trying to shoot down your great idea.

Cheers,
Kari

The only law for me; Ohms Law: U=R*I       P=U*I
Note to self: "Damn! Why don't you just fix it!!!"

TX
View Profile

Maybe you have on idea, but how I see this board, it is more likely for trying to develope the hardware (electronic) and the software (program, sketch)?
And you can correct me here.

Whos' to say Gary? Does it say that anywhere?

I can only go by the title explanation -

Suggestions for the Arduino Project
What do you think should be improved, features for the hard/software, bugs you found

If the title isn't clear enough, then it needs changed. If the board needs a sticky post to explain the purpose, it needs to be added.

Where are the Admins and owners? Look at one of the first posts on this board from Feb 2011. Massimo Banzi was reading along -

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,51025.0.html

Where is he now?

It sure looks like to me this board is all but abandoned by anyone who might really act on the suggestions. I sorted the board by replies and out of 28 pages fully 8 pages never even get a reply. Scanning through it, it looks like most of the threads with an Admin response are just locked and moved out to another board. Every so often an idea is met with a comment response from an Admin, but not that many. Many are just dead-ended with no "thanks" or resolution. I wonder how many good ideas are never even given any consideration?

But, you really should think about the way you are selling your idea, you are very aggressive.
Nobody's trying to shoot down your great idea.

Quite to the contrary, it is you and the other member who are being aggressive. I'm just trying to protect my topic from derailment. But it's not working.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

I purchased an Arduino prototype board at Radio Shack yesterday, and was shocked at the amount of packaging that was used for a small board. Please see attachment. I's a little ridiculous to use that much paper product for a tiny little board. They need to re-think their packaging strategy in light of the environment.

Going back to your original suggestion, and the follow-up that the boxes will be packed together into a larger box, what is wrong, exactly, with using paper? With no packaging at all the board would bang against each other and get damaged (inside the larger box) or might rub against the cushioning pellets and generate static.

I'm always impressed when a company uses paper or cardboard to package stuff rather than plastic, because paper is readily recyclable.

What is your suggested alternative, exactly? Remember, packaged like it is you can remove your 100 items (or whatever number they ship in) from the shipping box and put them on the shelf. The package is protective, plus a point-of-sale attractive package.

As for the forum, this is a help-the-end-user forum, moderated by volunteers. To say nothing of contributed to by volunteers.

If you have a suggestion that you think is really worthwhile, write directly to the Arduino administrators, whose addresses are on the main page.

This particular part of the forum could be regarded as a place to bounce ideas around, like yours. You have yet to make a convincing argument for the alternative. What is your alternative, again? If a sensible idea was agreed upon that was attractive, environmentally friendly, kept the boards secure, and no more expensive than the current one, no doubt it could be communicated to the "Arduino bosses".

Oh a Global Mod!

Maybe he can tell us why the Administration team doesn't care to answer posts in the board "Website and Forum"?

How would we know? Although if they looked at the tone you are taking in this thread, I think that might just answer your question for yourself.

TX
View Profile

Going back to your original suggestion, and the follow-up that the boxes will be packed together into a larger box, what is wrong, exactly, with using paper? With no packaging at all the board would bang against each other and get damaged (inside the larger box) or might rub against the cushioning pellets and generate static.

I'm always impressed when a company uses paper or cardboard to package stuff rather than plastic, because paper is readily recyclable.

I thought I was clear. Use less paper, not change from paper. Did you compare the difference between the protoboard packaging and the Arduino packaging, which I took time to take pictures of? Of course you didn't.

Why do I feel like most of the time people just skim posts with per-conceived notions and just comment on what they feel was said, instead of what was actually said. This thread is a perfect example of that.

Nick, why don't you go back and comment on the substance of what I took the time to post, and the pictures?

What is your suggested alternative, exactly? Remember, packaged like it is you can remove your 100 items (or whatever number they ship in) from the shipping box and put them on the shelf. The package is protective, plus a point-of-sale attractive package.

Again - lees paper. Much less paper for the protoboard packaging. Look at the pics ...

As for the forum, this is a help-the-end-user forum, moderated by volunteers. To say nothing of contributed to by volunteers.

If you have a suggestion that you think is really worthwhile, write directly to the Arduino administrators, whose addresses are on the main page.

I did, about the document expired errors. Didn't you read the other thread here -

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,149438.0.html

None of them - not a ONE, PMed me back with even a thanks but no thanks.

What's your next idea?

This particular part of the forum could be regarded as a place to bounce ideas around, like yours. You have yet to make a convincing argument for the alternative. What is your alternative, again? ...

This is getting tiresome. Look above.

How would we know? Although if they looked at the tone you are taking in this thread, I think that might just answer your question for yourself.

My thread is being derailed by irrelevant posts and people who don't follow all the posts. Maybe that's why my tone is turning sour.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Take your Uno or Mega box, refold it so its inside out. Cut out the two notches on one end, and put your card back in.
Now you have a nice little storage box that can be powered up via barrel jack or USB and keep your card insulated from metal surfaces while you use it.
Nothing wasteful there.
Now your griping can be dialed back to the sticker and the folded up certificate sheet.
I've only bought 1  brand new card, a Duemilanove back on 2010, I don't remember how it came.
I'm sure the UPS or DHL or USPS outer package dwarfed whatever box the Arduino itself was in.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

TX
View Profile

Take your Uno or Mega box, ...

I'm not complaining about the Uno or Mega box.

That is not in the OP.

What are you even talking about? It has nothing to do with my point.

Now, can somebody tell me why I shouldn't be getting sour when people jump in the thread and simply don't have a clue what the point is?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

The packaging for the protoboard is clearly to prevent the pins extending from the bottom of the board from being bent or damaged and thus unable to mount onto another card.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

TX
View Profile

The packaging for the protoboard is clearly to prevent the pins extending from the bottom of the board from being bent or damaged and thus unable to mount onto another card.

OK that's to the point, thanks for that.

However, I think it's too much paper even for that. I think a smaller stiff cardboard or plastic support for the pins would do as well. Plus, as I said, these boxes are mainly for promotion and in store display, the pins IMHO are in little danger from damage in that setting. And, as I think we both agree, shipment from the factory and to other warehouses is done in larger protective boxes.

But I do thank you much for understanding my original point.

Chile
Edison Member
Arduino rocks?
View Profile

I like the packaging strategy. I only need 1 original arduino of each kind, all others can be clones (to leave them inside something, or bare atmegas, so I don't really see the 'harm')

My website: http://ried.cl

North Carolina
View Profile

RadioShack finally has some nice Arduino stuff. I was so excited that I got a few new boards, as I was driving home I accidently spilled my Iced tea all over my seat and in one of the RadioShack bags. Thank God the paper packaging was able to hold off the tea long enough for me to pull over and save the boards from the sticky mess. I don't know what I would do if that paper packaging wasn't there to save my ass. Thanks Arduino smiley

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

TX
View Profile

I like the packaging strategy. I only need 1 original arduino of each kind, all others can be clones (to leave them inside something, or bare atmegas, so I don't really see the 'harm')

Sorry, but I have no idea at all what that statement has to do with my original point.

... as I was driving home I accidently spilled my Iced tea all over my seat and in one of the RadioShack bags. Thank God the paper packaging was able to hold off the tea long enough for me to pull over and save the boards from the sticky mess. I don't know what I would do if that paper packaging wasn't there to save my ass. Thanks Arduino smiley

Paper packaging isn't there to shield electronics from spilled iced tea, that's not what paper is supposed to do. If it did deflect iced tea it was simply a coincidence. A sealed ESD bag would be good at that - but unfortunatly this company doesn't use ESD bags for these products.

The paper packaging for the prootoboard is overdone and I showed a picture of the Arduino Uno packaging to prove this is so. The more complex product, the "core" element" of the system, has the least paper packaging, not even a sealed ESD bag. Jerz, go spill your iced tea on the Arduino box and see how you fare.

So really, both your points are irrelevant to my original idea.

North Carolina
View Profile

Dude, just take all this time and energy you obviously have on your hands and make something with the damn box. Shit....
I think someone needs a hug. smiley-yell
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:00:50 pm by Jerz » Logged

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Espoo, Finland
God Member
"Oops, try again..."
View Profile

You mean, if they would use the ESD bag also, the package would be just perfect?

C'moon, leave the guy alone, he has a point after all.

But all this should be scaled on the real world sized packaking with much too much plastic.

If you install, let's say new IBM PC, you have 3-4 plastic bags for few little parts that you probably won't even use, every piece of "manuals" are in their
own bag, and what are you going to do with them once you have them? Yeah, right to the trash bin.

Plastic is the real problem. But not with the electrical components, with little bag of silicon.

Cheers,
Kari

The only law for me; Ohms Law: U=R*I       P=U*I
Note to self: "Damn! Why don't you just fix it!!!"

TX
View Profile

Dude, just take all this time and energy you obviously have on your hands and make something with the damn box. Shit....
I think someone needs a hug. smiley-yell

Translation: I have no rational insight to add so I'll chastise the OP. In the forum I operate this would be referred to as "dodging".

You mean, if they would use the ESD bag also, the package would be just perfect?

It would be better for the Arduino device. It's standard practice in the industry - to package electronics in ESD bags. Why does the Arduino team think they know better than the entire industry in this regard?

C'moon, leave the guy alone, he has a point after all.

Thanks

But all this should be scaled on the real world sized packaging with much too much plastic.

If you install, let's say new IBM PC, you have 3-4 plastic bags for few little parts that you probably won't even use, every piece of "manuals" are in their
own bag, and what are you going to do with them once you have them? Yeah, right to the trash bin.

Plastic is the real problem. But not with the electrical components, with little bag of silicon.

Of course. The point is, for any packaging, to scale it back.

Look at the pic I attached. See the cardboard support? That comes in various types of boxes to support furniture during shipping. It's made of paper but it's very strong, almost as strong as wood. See the protoboard? If a smaller size of that support product were used, a few small pieces of that were used around the pins of the protoboard so they would be protected, you wouldn't need that big box and the paper volume would be smaller. You could use a smaller box like the Arduino comes in.

Think people think! Don't kill the messenger.

* packaging.JPG (78.01 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 29 times.)

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

It would be better for the Arduino device. It's standard practice in the industry - to package electronics in ESD bags. Why does the Arduino team think they know better than the entire industry in this regard?

My guess is, that since the device is aimed at the hobby market, they expect that the first thing the new owner will do is open it up and hold it in their hands. The ESD bag would just slow that process down slightly. In the absence of warnings about "only use at an ESD-safe workstation", which would go against the whole hobbyist approach, there isn't much point about worrying about ESD.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: