Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Dark LCD (and I'm not talking about gothic rock)  (Read 443 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I've tried this basic project: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/LiquidCrystal using the LCD included with the Starter Kit.
But when I download software to the Arduino I got this dark screen when I set the trimmer to half (see the photo in attachment), while if I turn to the maximum I got a dark yellow screen (and characters become invisible).

Could be a problem related to the LCD? Could be related to the wiring?  smiley-confuse

Thank you.

* IMG_20130403_231319.jpg (1966.46 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 21 times.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:44:20 pm by killkrt » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

In your image, I don't see that you've connected the LED power to pins 15 and 16. 

http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/How-to-turn-on-the-backlights-of-a-HD44780-LCD

View Profile

Yes, I didn't connect PIN 15 and 16 since in the schematics shown in the tutorial that I followed the Power seems to be supplied by PIN 2 (+5V) and PIN 1 and 5 (GRND).   smiley-roll

So do you think I have to disconnect PIN 1, 2 and 5, and connect PIN 15 and 16?

Thank you.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

No, you need to connect 15/16 in addition to what the tutorial told you to connect.  Not all LCDs have backlights and not all applications require them.  So the tutorial treats them as optional. 

If you've gotten "Hello World" to appear dimly, it shows that you've done everything right so far and that the LCD is working properly.  Connect the backlight power and all will be good.

View Profile

I just made a test! It works! Thank you!  smiley

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Good for you.  And now back to Gothic Rock.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: