Go Down

Topic: A fix for LilyPad USB on Ubuntu (or maybe GNU/Linux in general) (Read 585 times) previous topic - next topic

mace

Hi. I just acquired an Arduino LilyPad USB today, and had trouble making it work on my GNU/Linux computer (i'm using, and loving Ubuntu). The problem was that Arduino IDE was telling me that it couldn't find a Leonardo device. I'm really sorry i haven't got the exact error message anymore, it would be great for people who search the forums. Sometimes i would get a message 'Serial port /dev/ttyACM0 not found' instead.

Anyways, after some headscratching and debugging, i found out that a component of the Ubuntu Network Manager called modemmanager was snatching the /dev/ttyACM0 device. I filed a bug report on Ubuntu Launchpad #1153632, made a bugfix, and submitted a merge request to Ubuntu.

<3

So it should be fixed for everyone who upgrades their Ubuntu eventually when 13.04 is out, or if this bugfix get's backported. Meanwhile, if you are using an Arduino LilyPad USB, create a file called /etc/udev/rules.d/70-arduino-lilypad-usb.rules with the following contents:

Code: [Select]

# Arduino LilyPad USB
ATTRS{idVendor}=="1b4f", ATTRS{idProduct}=="9207", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="1b4f", ATTRS{idProduct}=="9208", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"

And then run sudo service network-manager restart or restart your computer.

I hope this helps, and i hope people will find here via Google, and i also encourage you to see the Ubuntu Launchpad bugreport https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/modemmanager/+bug/1153632

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy