Go Down

Topic: Serial Monitor - opens past the edge of my main screen and I can't see it (Read 273 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm having trouble when I open the Serial Monitor - it opens past the right edge of my main screen and I can't see it.
The Java icon and COM15 show up in my system tray and only a "Close Window" option is there.
I'm using Windows 7 with a dual-monitor setup. Doesn't matter if I run the IDE on the other (left) monitor.
This happened for me in 1.0.1 so I upgraded to 1.0.4 and same thing.
I ran the Java control panel utility (V6.0 Update 26), but nothing about moving things, also cleared the cache.
I assume the Arduino IDE sets the pop-up location?

Found the way to move the windowe back on my screen, from Microsoft's Tech forums:

"Windows 7 has a cool new feature that should help.  Click the icon in the taskbar to ensure that the program has focus. Then hold down the Windows key and press the right-arrow a few times. That should move the window across your screens and eventually bring it back onto the screen that is still active."

Louis Davis

Another way to reset the location is to edit your "preferences.txt" file.
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Preferences

Look for:
last.serial.location=0,0,411,378

Change the first two values to 0,0 and this will place the monitor window in the upper left corner of your monitor.

Go Up