Go Down

Topic: PAN101BOI from a USB mouse and Arduino (Read 547 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi all,

after reading some articles on how to connect mouse to Arduino (for ex: http://blog.jgc.org/2012/09/conversion-of-cheap-optical-mouse-to.html) I'm trying to do the same.

My mouse was a little bit different from one shown on the web page I posted. It use a PAN101BOI chip and use quadrature encoding to read to detect mouse move.

Any way I was lucky: my mouse has the same circuit schema reported on 8.2 section (left side) of the data sheet I attached to this post.

First of all I try the mouse with a PC: it works. Second I try to recognize every component on the board. After that I start cutting wiring between PAN101BOI chip and the second chip use for USB codification (basically connection to pin 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 on the schema on data sheet. The cut was done after the resistor in order to keep their working on actual schema, see attached image).

After that I soldered two wire to pin 12 and 14 of PAN101BOI chip (XA and XB) and wired to an Arduino Ethernet board in following way:
- 5V of Arduino connected to pin 1 of usb connector;
- GND of Arduino connected to pin 4 of usb connector;
- digital pin 3 of Arduino wired to pin 12 of PAN101BOI;
- digital pin 2 of Arduino wired to pin 14 of PAN101BOI.

I powered the Arduino board from USB: with my surprise the mouse led start lighting as usual!

I create a real dummy sketch to test it:

Code: [Select]
void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);
attachInterrupt(0, blink, CHANGE);
}

void loop()
{
}

void blink()
{
Serial.println("Change!");
}

Upload on Arduino and start serial monitor... nothing happens!

Do you have same idea on why it is not working?

Thanks a lot
Alessandro

I was not able to make it works.

A the end I found another mouse using ADNS-2051 and connect to Arduino: it is working!

Bye
Ale

Zapro

No wonder. Those XA & XB pins on the PAN101BOI are NOT PS/2 communication, so it would never work.

// Per.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy