Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Triac vs Relay  (Read 1026 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi There!

I want to control (on and off) 1.5 HP, 220VAC motor from Arduino.  I am thinking of controlling the motor by building a solid state relay using MOC 3021 and triac BTA16.  Is this the best approach? or using a relay is the simple and better option?  Need to know any advantages and disadvantages of both the approaches.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks in advance.

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

Best is to buy a ready-made random turn-on SSR, but they are expensive compared to making your own. If you use a mechanical relay, you should connect a snubber network across the contacts to control arcing. You may need to use a snubber network with the home-made SSR too.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Induction motors are a nearly pure inductive load (tricky for triacs) - do you have specs / datasheet for the motor?

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

At that power it's time to look for properly sized 'motor starters', which is just a fancy name for a electromechanical relay built for such service.

Lefty

View Profile

Thanks all for your responses.  I have decided to go with 10 Amps relay.  For the snubber network, If have one capacitor of 10nf/680V and one resistor 39R in series across the relay switching terminals, is that sufficient?

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

I suggest you check the starting current of your motor, to see whether a 10A relay is sufficient. Regarding the snubber, I'm not an expert in this area, but 10nF sounds way too small to me, I suspect you need at least 1uF for a motor of that size.

There are vendors of alternative arc-suppression devices who claim that snubbers are useless in high-power applications, for example http://www.arcsuppressiontechnologies.com/Documents/Lab%20Note%20103%20-%20NOV2011%20-%20Snubbers.pdf.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

View Profile

Thank you dc42.  After doing some research on internet, I too realized that snubber circuits may not be useful in suppressing the arc totally.  So I am left out with the option building my own SSR.  Good news is there a snubberless version available in BTA16 Triac series for inductive loads.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: