Go Down

Topic: Triac vs Relay (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Lavan

Hi There!

I want to control (on and off) 1.5 HP, 220VAC motor from Arduino.  I am thinking of controlling the motor by building a solid state relay using MOC 3021 and triac BTA16.  Is this the best approach? or using a relay is the simple and better option?  Need to know any advantages and disadvantages of both the approaches.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks in advance.

dc42

Best is to buy a ready-made random turn-on SSR, but they are expensive compared to making your own. If you use a mechanical relay, you should connect a snubber network across the contacts to control arcing. You may need to use a snubber network with the home-made SSR too.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

MarkT

Induction motors are a nearly pure inductive load (tricky for triacs) - do you have specs / datasheet for the motor?
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

retrolefty

At that power it's time to look for properly sized 'motor starters', which is just a fancy name for a electromechanical relay built for such service.

Lefty

Lavan

Thanks all for your responses.  I have decided to go with 10 Amps relay.  For the snubber network, If have one capacitor of 10nf/680V and one resistor 39R in series across the relay switching terminals, is that sufficient?

Go Up