Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dielectric fluid filled PCB enclosure for heat dissipation  (Read 3558 times)
UK
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm using the suppressors to deal with flyback when switching inductive loads, as per my other thread you've helped in - hence the power dissipation.

The MOSFETs have an on resistance of only a few mOhms, and are only switching ~5A at the 10s of kHz.

The IGBTs are driving inductive loads, at currents of ~10A up to around 75Hz. The h-bridge is a VNH2SP30, so no - no bipolars here thankfully! Stepper chip uses MOSFETs in the bridges too.

The problem will arise in the future I foresee, with up to 20 high side switches potentially, so this thread was more to get a feel to see if the solution was viable re cooling.

Cheers!

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

It's worth measuring the resistance of the inductive load, then you can work out what proportion of the stored energy will be dissipated in the load and what will be dissipated in the TVS diode. Also, consider what fall time of the current you need in the inductive load. The higher the voltage rating of the TVS diode, the faster will be the fall time - but the greater the proportion of energy dissipated in the TVS diode.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: