Go Down

Topic: Newb Question Alert - Oval Phone LCD panel? (Read 83 times) previous topic - next topic

arddvs

I have a project I've been thinking about for awhile that requires an oval shaped LCD panel, and finally managed to track down and receive a Chinese cell phone with an oval panel that fits the bill.  (actual oval not a beveled/obfuscated rectangle)  Basically I want to remove the LCD panel and put it in a custom housing, and have something drive it to display a video feed.  Now that I actually have the thing in my hand, I realize that I'm completely over my head in terms of making it work. 

Is this even going to be possible without having the diagram/pins?  Could it be reverse engineered?  Are there generic controllers that work for most LCDs or are they specialized per panel?  If I take the phone apart would there be a possibility of a manufacture/part stamp or are these things typically unlabeled?   Does anyone know of a manufacture that provides oval panels as a kit?  Any kind of starting point is apprecaited, and I plan on hitting the San Jose Arduino meeting this month if anyone here is local.

ghlawrence2000

Oval lcd display, is kinda vague. Is it dot-matrix, character, tft? They are all unique and yes they are all driven differently. However, there is a vast range of libraries and drivers for all manner of different LCDs for arduino, but a little more information is definitely going to be required....

Regards,

Graham

arddvs

Hrm, weird there was a reply to this earlier...   Anyways, they wanted to know a bit more, so here is the phone powered on, it's a slide style shell, normally the keypad would be covered.  It's a full color LCD with touchscreen, but don't know enough about displays to say more.

The phone is fairly well constructed, and I don't see any easy way to disassemble.  Brand is KINGK.  The package contains a manual but it's all in Chinese.  The phone is about same size/thickness as an old ipod, about 3.5x2.5 inches.

guix

Dec 02, 2014, 10:40 am Last Edit: Dec 02, 2014, 10:45 am by guix
Hello and welcome,

Forget it, you will never be able to hack this display and control it with an arduino. It is probably possible, but would take months to RE, especially for a beginner.

If you can program apps for this phone, which I doubt, then you could control it with arduino by using a bluetooth module.

Since you want to put it in a custom housing, what about a normal display, and make the oval shape on the housing instead.

But, you want to display video, and the arduino isn't capable of doing this.

ghlawrence2000

It is a very manly phone! Almost a pity to take it apart. Give it wife/girlfriend/daughter for christmas  ;)  :D

Regards,

Graham

arddvs

It is a very manly phone! Almost a pity to take it apart. Give it wife/girlfriend/daughter for christmas  ;)  :D
Hah!  It is quite sparkly!  There is some reference to it as a "Lady phone", and the coating that protects the LCD is reflective so when it is powered off, you can use it as a mirror.  I guess to check your makeup or what-not.  I was told it doesn't support US bandwidth/protocol for cellphone use...  tried a generic sim and couldn't get it to work, so that may well be true.

I'll probably keep it around as a conversation piece or perhaps use as a movie prop.  It is unique.

arddvs

Forget it, you will never be able to hack this display and control it with an arduino. It is probably possible, but would take months to RE, especially for a beginner.
Yea, that's what I thought the answer would be.  I appreciate the information.  If I was going to pursue this near impossible task, any suggestions on where to start?  Also does anyone know if there are any manufactures that can produce oval shaped LCDs?   There was a story about a company "AUO" that showcased a sample, but was never listed on their site and I've never been able to get a reply to email inquiries.

For the project, I'm doing a snow white magic-mirror type effect, and the "mirror" really needs to be oval shaped.  I may settle for masking off a rectangle and kill some of the illusion, but not quite ready to go that route yet.

Go Up