Go Down

Topic: Stand alone AVR ISP Programmer shield kit (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

Harnam Thakur

Hello there !
I bought a Stand alone AVR ISP Programmer shield kit from Adafruit.

Burning bootloader into ATMEGA328P is OK
But How to burn bootlaoder in ATMEGA 328 and ATMEGA8L-8PU with this kit?
Can any one suggest/guide me ?

Thanks

retrolefty

If you load the attached arduino board that the shield in plugged into with the standard sketch arduinoISP then you can program any 28 pin AVR chip that the arduino ISP supports in it's board selection menu. You just select the programmer type as arduinoISP and then select the board type for your target chip and then select burn bootloader.

Lefty

Harnam Thakur

Sir
My board is Arduino Duemilanove, I downloaded the sketch to it and mounted the sheild
on top of it.
Selected  Arduino Duemilanove w/Atmega328
Programmer ..>Arduino as ISP
Then selected the burn bootloader

Error: while burning bootloader
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check."

While burning the bootlaoder to ATMEGA328P is without problem.

retrolefty

Sir
My board is Arduino Duemilanove, I downloaded the sketch to it and mounted the sheild
on top of it.
Selected  Arduino Duemilanove w/Atmega328
Programmer ..>Arduino as ISP
Then selected the burn bootloader

Error: while burning bootloader
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check."

While burning the bootlaoder to ATMEGA328P is without problem.

Are you sure the chip installed in the ZIF socket is a 328P and not a 328 (non P) ?

Lefty

Harnam Thakur

Sir,
Thanks

The chip installed in the Zif socket is ATMEGA 328.
I have no problem for burning the ATMEGA 328P, but I want to burn bootloader in ATMEGA 328 and ATMEGA8
with this shield.

The chip installed in the Arduino Duemilanove is ATMEGA328P in which the sketch of bootloader is burnt.

Zander

I have something to add on this same topic;

I too have brought the same kit but now I'm stuck on the part of compiling.

What do I do with all the information on this site?
https://github.com/adafruit/Standalone-Arduino-AVR-ISP-programmer
Do I make a folder and copy every file listed in to it? How do I download off of that website?

Finally how do I compile all of the files?

Docedison

Click on the Zip tab... I atached it just click on the orange text below... I've used the standalone ArduinoISP sketch that comes in Ver 1. it's under File/Examples/ArduinoISP... Works for me...

--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Erni

For a solution for the 328 (non P), see this thread:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=295009c627c6307838acc182dfa71bc0&/topic,108697.0.html

Zander

Apr 24, 2013, 09:30 pm Last Edit: Apr 24, 2013, 09:32 pm by Zander Reason: 1

Click on the Zip tab... I atached it just click on the orange text below... I've used the standalone ArduinoISP sketch that comes in Ver 1. it's under File/Examples/ArduinoISP... Works for me...

I uploaded it no problems but its not functioning as the one shown in this video.
Green led only flashes when reset is pressed and other than that nothing else.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adafruit/6140821773/

However looking at what you did in the zip file I have an understanding as to what I may have to do.

Could I copy and paste the code to a text document and just change the file extension?

Docedison

@ Zander I just downloaded and attached the files.. I've not looked at them.. I use the one that comes with the IDE and so far it's worked OK. I made a programming board from the Adafruit information and I modified it so that I could plug in a 6 conductor cable and connect the other end to the board I want to program and using ArduinoISP program the chip on that board. The ISP connector on my programming board connects to the SPI connections on the chip so I can leave the programming socket empty and use the cable to connect to another Arduino board for programming.
The instructions for constructing the board are accurate, I wasn't too sure of the sketch because of the dates on it... So this was the reason why I bypassed the Afafruit sketch and used the Arduino IDE's ArduinoISP instead.

Doc
--> WA7EMS <--

hiduino

Apr 25, 2013, 02:44 am Last Edit: Apr 25, 2013, 05:12 pm by hiduino Reason: 1
Just a little clarification about the Adafruit AVR ISP programmer shield.  They have two versions, one functions as a standard ArduinoISP shield, the other is a Stand-alone version using a modified OptiLoader sketch.

This version: http://learn.adafruit.com/arduino-tips-tricks-and-techniques/arduinoisp is an ArduinoISP like shield with some modifications.  Their link to the ArduinoISP is based on an older version with modifications to add support for the piezo buzzer and some pin out changes to the LEDs.  This is used with the Arduino IDE or avrdude as Arduino as ISP.  You can use it with the Arduino IDE version of ArduinoISP as @Doc pointed out.

Edit: Actually, the IDE ArduinoISP only works for unprogrammed ATmega328P chips, because they use the internal clocking.  It doesn't work correctly if the 328P is set for external clocking.  This is because the Adafruit AVRISP shield has digital pin D9 connected to the clock input XTAL1 on the ATmega328P.  Adafruit has a modified ArduinoISP sketch to put an 8MHz clock out on D9 so the shield can be used without a crystal.  Whereas the IDE ArduinoISP uses D9 as a heartbeat LED indicator, which doesn't properly clock the 328P.

The Stand-alone version: http://ladyada.net/library/tools/standaloneisp.html adds support for a button and piezo buzzer and utilizes a modified OptiLoader sketch.  The default bootloader included is an adabootloader for the m328P at 16MHz and 57600 baud rate (duemilanove).  This does not interface to the IDE or avrdude, but runs standalone and is triggered by a button press to program the m328p chip in the ZIF socket.  Which takes just a few seconds to program the bootloader.  A faster alternative to ArduinoISP.  You can modify the sketch to burn a different bootloader or even a small sketch, but it has to fit within the memory size of the Arduino you are using the shield on.

Zander

Apr 25, 2013, 02:24 pm Last Edit: Apr 25, 2013, 04:51 pm by Zander Reason: 1
Oh wow I just found the Zip button on the website. I will see now if this works.

Edit: I've just realized the reason why nothing is happening is actually due to a hardware issue on the shield, I didn't finish wiring it.

Docedison

And I think I need to revisit the programmer I m building.. I didn't really look at the Adafruit example because of the date of the sketch.. Shame on ME.

Doc
--> WA7EMS <--

Zander

I got it to indicate a problem.

however this is when I press the program button and the green light doesn't indicate anything.

Could I have a damaged chip or is it something else?

hiduino

No, the chip is probably fine.  I had problems trying to program a 328P also.

You may need to adjust the programming clock speed in the adaLoader sketch.  In the file optiLoader.h you will need to adjust these two definitions.  These settings work for me.

Code: [Select]

// You may want to tweak these based on whether your chip is
// using an internal low-speed crystal
#define CLOCKSPEED_FUSES   SPI_CLOCK_DIV64
#define CLOCKSPEED_FLASH   SPI_CLOCK_DIV64

It was defaulted to SPI_CLOCK_DIV128 but that may have been too slow.

Go Up