Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Cell phone repeater / signal booster  (Read 1225 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I would like to build my own cell phone repeater or signal booster and I was wondering if any one had tried this.  I have no idea where to start or if this is even possible. 

Any help would be great

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

I have no idea where to start
Google would be a good starting point.

or if this is even possible. 

Given that you apparently don't want to simply buy one, you'd need to understand how they work and then design and build one. This seems to be mainly an RF project rather than an Arduino one. Given the "no idea where to start" I guess you don't know how cell phones work in which case it's probably not a realistic project for you. In any case, I don't see this as an Arduino project.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Maine
Caution: Explosives in use.
View Profile

Any signal booster or repeater would have to operate on frequencies owned by your cellphone provider (or the company they lease from), so you would need permission to use them.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

Dee Why NSW
Edison Member
View Profile

I have no idea where to start or if this is even possible. 

Unless you live in an extremely remote area, or in a country with no law, the best place to start would probably be with the government communications regulator.  The conversation is likely to be quite short.

View Profile

Main problem with this project idea is you would need formal 'type acceptance' (at least that's what it is called in the US) from the government's RF spectrum manager (again, in the US that's the FCC).  You are talking about transmitting in regulate spectrum.

If the FCC takes notice of your transmitter, they can and usually do issue stiff fines (a Notice of Forfeiture) in the $10,000 range.

The other RF devices you see used with Arduinos or by hobbists in general are in specifically-allocated spectrum for general unlicensed operation.

View Profile

Boy I just love it when your looking for help on here all you find is assholes. I apologize for us nerds that have a lack of social and communication skills. I spent half my time in school keeping them from getting beat up..and still  nothing in return
 First thing would be to figure out what frequency your phone is running/transmitting and receiving. this can be done with a google search of your carrier. second is to do as I am doing and figure out how to build an amplifier for that general frq.(I need 1900mhz)  Hope this helps you some...best I could do for now...still learning what all can be done with this amazing little board.

View Profile

Boy I just love it when your looking for help on here all you find is assholes. I apologize for us nerds that have a lack of social and communication skills. I spent half my time in school keeping them from getting beat up..and still  nothing in return
 First thing would be to figure out what frequency your phone is running/transmitting and receiving. this can be done with a google search of your carrier. second is to do as I am doing and figure out how to build an amplifier for that general frq.(I need 1900mhz)  Hope this helps you some...best I could do for now...still learning what all can be done with this amazing little board.

Not sure if that was directed at me, but it really IS a serious matter to be aware of and steer clear of.  The FCC is rather mercenary and heartless when it comes to infringing on their spectrum allocations.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

DeBoe75: mind your language.
I have deleted your first outburst.

What you want to do is
1) beyond the capabilities of an arduino (unless you really did want 1900mHz)
2) illegal in most jurisdictions
3) beyond your capabilities.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

NSW Australia
Faraday Member
View Profile

What you want to do is
2) illegal in most jurisdictions

More specifically, entirely illegal in all areas where there are jurisdictions.  smiley-grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: