Go Down

Topic: What did You Manage to Destroy? (Read 3407 times) previous topic - next topic

Mike Mc

I recently killed my PC. Ordered a new fan as the existing one was very noisy. Pulled off the old fan to replace it and the thermal grease must have been like strong glue as unbeknownst to me the CPU also came out with it. I then put the fan with attached CPU on the floor. It then got its pins bent and covered in gooey thermal grease. An attempt to clean it and put it back only ended up with a tiny amount of invisible grease getting into the holes too. Total disaster.

Had to go out and buy a new MB and Ram. Well it was time for an upgrade anyway so i'm not too bothered.

marklar

I recently destroyed a 12v lithium ion battery by hooking it backwards to an inverter.  It smoked and I knew it was toast - duh.

I have destroyed a few LEDs and shift registers during the construction process.  I may have killed some pins on my first two arduinos as the two wire does not work on either one, but does on others.  Most likely I was sourcing way too much juice and toasted the pins, (I do not source any power from the arduinos any longer for anything more than an LED or two).  

I also destroyed the regulator on a clone by hooking 5v to it directly while doing the same the a standard arduino did fine (bad clone design I think - I deserve it for buying a clone).  

The list goes on but those are recent :)

CowJam

It's a while ago now, but during my physics a-level I was banned from taking part in practical lessons because I was so disaster prone.

jada

Jan 04, 2011, 03:27 pm Last Edit: Jan 04, 2011, 03:28 pm by newman Reason: 1
Its really funny how people break things I nevered broke anything isint that shocking ?  :o  ;D

[edit]Just was thinking and a small memeory ;)
i was trrying to lift a dumbell and toppled the whole rack breaking it and the floor  ;D[/edit]

Mike Mc

Maarklar - I had one of the very first Lithium chargers for my RC Plane. It overcooked the battery, which exploded in a fireball. Luckily we were out in a field at the time. My 12v battery and my transmitter got a little charred but apart from that nothing else was damaged and no-one was hurt. It was pretty spectacular when it went up !

retrolefty

Jan 04, 2011, 03:28 pm Last Edit: Jan 04, 2011, 03:29 pm by retrolefty Reason: 1
It's a while ago now, but during my physics a-level I was banned from taking part in practical lessons because I was so disaster prone.

Sounds like you were a natural to move on to be a successful computer software scientist.  ;D

CowJam

Sounds like you were a natural to move on to be a successful computer software scientist.

That's just a hobby.

I work for the NHS. Try not to worry too much, but I work in patient safety and risk management.

marklar

Sounds like you were a natural to move on to be a successful computer software scientist.

The power of edit - undo can't be under estimated  :D

mowcius

Jan 04, 2011, 05:51 pm Last Edit: Jan 04, 2011, 05:52 pm by mowcius Reason: 1
I work for the NHS. Try not to worry too much, but I work in patient safety and risk management.

;D Haha

I aint coming down Wigan way any time soon with an injury ;)

mowcius

Jan 04, 2011, 05:59 pm Last Edit: Jan 04, 2011, 06:05 pm by mowcius Reason: 1
I managed to destroy my code earlier - now it's doing a really weird thing and I can't work out why... It jumps back to setup from a different function and I have no idea how that's even possible without using 'goto'

CowJam

I managed to destroy my code earlier - now it's doing a really weird thing and I can't work out why... It jumps back to setup from a different function and I have no idea how that's even possible without using 'goto'

That's impressive! You're not resetting it somehow are you?

Divyanshu

I destroyed an old RC helicopter....ripped off it's motor, transmitter and the tail motor. Lol.
|I love Technology|

mowcius

Jan 04, 2011, 07:01 pm Last Edit: Jan 04, 2011, 07:01 pm by mowcius Reason: 1
That's impressive! You're not resetting it somehow are you?

Nope, I haven't had a chance to look at it again yet but I'll work it out and report back when I know what on earth is causing it to do this!

It doesn't appear to go back to the start of the setup code either  :P

AlphaZeta

Must be a memory access violation somewhere. If the return address from a function call gets overwritten in the stackframe, this could certainly happen.

mowcius

The problem has been found (with help).

Not making things big enough for what I was sticking in them. I'm surprised it worked at all now that I think about it!

Mowcius

Go Up