Go Down

Topic: Old six wire stepper motor... Seagate -- Not sure what I have (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

capitali

Mar 13, 2013, 01:23 am Last Edit: Mar 14, 2013, 04:03 am by capitali Reason: 1
I have an old seagate stepper motor... I have have not been able to decide on the wiring.. I'm betting someone else already knows...

I've attached a PDF with a photo.. the below resistance pinnout table, and the multimeter doing the test.

*******RedBlueGreenYellowBrownOrange
Red*******0.030.030.0150.030.03
Blue0.03*******0.030.0150.030.03
Green0.030.03*******0.0150.030.03
Yellow0.0150.0150.015*******0.0150.015
Brown0.030.030.030.015*******0.03
Orange0.030.030.030.0150.03*******

I am interested both in what I have here and also how it would, and if it could, work with a http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/Motor_Shield_V1.0

Chagrin

Sounds like you have a five phase unipolar stepper. Would work just like a typical, four phase unipolar motor but with one extra phase to deal with.

Your PDF is missing btw.

MarkT

Well you could also view it as a five-phase AC motor with windings in a star arrangement and the common
point brought out as the yellow wire.  You next need to establish the order of phases and look up ways to
drive a five-phase motor (unipolar will be the simplest, but not the best).

Are those values really ohms?  0.015 ohms?
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

retrolefty

Mar 14, 2013, 02:30 am Last Edit: Mar 14, 2013, 02:34 am by retrolefty Reason: 1
Couldn't it also be a four phase stepper using two center-tapped windings, thus 6 wires?
An ohm meter should help you prove how many winding you have and if center-tapped or not.
Lefty

capitali

Hey thanks for all the replies... the PDF is now attached -- thanks for making me realize that hadn't gone as well.
Capital I

michinyon

Couldn't it also be a four phase stepper using two center-tapped windings, thus 6 wires?

If that was right,  why would only the yellow wire have a unique resistance to the other wires ?

kf2qd

His meter is probably reading 15 Ohms per phase with yellow as the common.

MarkT

An ohm meter should help you prove how many winding you have and if center-tapped or not.
Lefty

Not with those measured resistances.

capitali

So could I use a pair of ULN2004AN darlington arrays to achieve all five phases?
4 through the first ULN2004AN and 1 through a second? -- seems like that would work?

MarkT

Well the 2004 has 7 darlingtons, so one package would suffice.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy