Go Down

Topic: 120VAC motor 4watt 60hz speed control -- help (Read 728 times) previous topic - next topic

Munkeeworks

I consider myself new to electronics so please bare with me. I live in the US and most outlets are 110V-120V AC
I was thinking of using an Arduino to create a speed control for an AC motor. I am looking for an easy and cheap solution.The motor is 120 VAC 4watts 60hz.

I know PWM is efficient way of speed control and that is why I am considering Arduino. I was thinking of using a mosfet for the switching but I think I should have something that isolates the HV from the LV so I don't destroy the Arduino. I also have the guts from an old phone charger that I am using to power the arduino.

Also I was thinking of making a full bridge rectifier for the ac to dc. but I am a little confused on the voltage output if I do that. On some forums I've read that the voltage is multiplied by ~1.4 when converted from AC to DC and others I am reading it's divided by ~1.4.

dc42

This is not an easy project for a newcomer to electronics. If it's a brushed motor, then it needs a phase angle controller. It it's an induction motor, then it needs a variable-frequency inverter. PWM as generated by an Arduino does not work for AC motors.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Munkeeworks

Thanks for the reply.
I will probably take a different route for this.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy