Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: A workshop I just held this week  (Read 2539 times)
God Member
a, b = b, a+b
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi Everyone

I just felt like sharing the final projects of my students, as I am proud of them and of the workshop I just held :-)

http://www.paulstrohmeier.info/workshops/

The students had never been confronted with physical computing before, many of them already had trouble extracting the Arduino software from the .zip file.

Basically I started from zero and tried to tickle as much out of them as possible. Having said that, once I showed them the basics I let them work pretty much unsupervised, and would only interfere with their projects if they got stuck.

what I learned:

a) Do *not* use the Arduino Leonardo for teaching a class. The drivers are horrible, and were it not for a post by Nick Gammon which I randomly discovered we would have lost a *lot* of time messing around with these boards. I am extremely disappointed by them (I will probably write another post on this eventually)

b) Explain how to use a breadboard. Explain it again and again. I have noticed this before with some posts in this forum, but I did not give the issue enough thought. Apparently using a breadboard is not intuitive or logical. Halfway through the workshop I realized that the kids actually had no idea how (and why) to use them properly. Had I explained it better, I would have saved them a lot of hassle.

Anyway, just felt like sharing.

Cheers

P.

(oh. you will find lots of dodgy things in the code & fritzing schematics. keep in mind that they had no idea what they where doing and where under a lot of time pressure. For me it was most important that they manage to do something on their own and gain some self confidence while doing it, so I let a lot of stuff slip which I would have pointed out in a different setting)

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Thanks for sharing!
Did the students have fun? Did some start with a new hobby that starts with an A?

If I see the pictures I guess they did!

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

View Profile

Hey.

I'm running a workshop in June, and had planned on using Leonardo's. Thanks for the heads-up about not using them! Back to the good ol' Uno's then!

Nic.

God Member
a, b = b, a+b
View Profile

by now I have learned that the Leonardo driver issue actually is a feature :-D.

however, its a feature you would preferably not confront beginners with...

on the other hand... I have 20 Leonardo bords. I'd sell them for 12Euro per piece + Shipping :-D

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: