Go Down

Topic: analog in to 4 bit LCD driver (Read 13 times) previous topic - next topic

glasspusher

Hey Neill,
I haven't tried your 4 bit library yet. The newer init code I posted above works fine for either a 2 or 4 line display. A quick glance at the excellent links you have on the LCD's processor's internal init functions leads me to believe that it probably isn't necessary to do a hard init of an LCD unless you want it to do a mode other than its native format (ie getting a 2 line display to only do 1 line). I don't have a 1 line display so I can't check that configuration. Thanks for the tip on the integer to string function. One thing I do enjoy about the Arduino is actually having to worry about keeping code lean and mean! Reminds me of the "good" old days with my Timex Sinclair ;)

I could see people either using the "clear screen" or "reset to home" commands depending on what they want to do. "reset to home" sometimes looks nicer because it doesn't have the slight flicker that the "clear screen" function has.

Another interesting thing I found this weekend, after writing a little mac app to talk to the Arduino and set stuff on the LCD (if anyone's interested I'd be happy to post it) is that the serial(USB) port only seems to take in 65 bytes max at any one time? Is this a limitation of the hardware or the serial library?

At this rate, I might not get a chance to mess around with this until the weekend, but I've got plenty of stuff to read and try, thanks to you. Good show.

Dave

haesslich

i gave me a try on an LCD display today. but i failed  :'(
the display just got damn hot and nothing else. guess it's broken now, so i will buy a new one and try again.  :-/
i need the LCD for a present that has to be ready until first days of december, so i am kind of under pressure  ;)

Westbam

just wanted to say: AWESOME THREAD!! :)

Thanx for your wiki link neillzero :)

just wondered what LCD display I should get to start with.....

neillzero

Oct 30, 2006, 03:36 pm Last Edit: Oct 30, 2006, 03:40 pm by neillzero Reason: 1
Hi Westbam,

Where are you?  In the UK I recently bought a maplin "N27AZ" 16x2 with a backlight - expensive at 10 pounds.  That's what I tested the 4-bit library against during development.  Note that these seem to be web-only components at maplin now.

I plan to make a short tutorial about a simple device I made which incorporates this display (but we all make plans...)

If size is a factor, I'd be tempted to try to make do with a 1x8, as the 16 character displays are significantly longer than your arduino board.  Then again, it's nice to have a bit more space on the display for debugging a lot of stuff (when serial is tied up).

A backlight is going to drain a battery more quickly, but normally you can decide not to wire it up.

I'd get something cheap for your first build.  Then you'll learn what you can live with and what you're really missing.

Make sure it is HD44780-compatible.

rahji aka rob

Nov 17, 2006, 06:39 pm Last Edit: Nov 17, 2006, 06:39 pm by rahji Reason: 1
I was able to get the LiquidCrystal library to work okay with this:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=791

Since it only works with 1 of the 2 lines, I wanted to try the LCD4Bit library instead.
(and of course I'd like to use less pins)

The example doesn't work - I haven't changed any of the wiring but looking at the code,
it seems that it uses the same pines as LiquidCrystal.

Anyone else used this specific display or am I out of luck with LCD4Bit?

Thanks for any info,
Rob

Go Up